Discuss Communal Smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all.

I have been asked if it is possible to change a damaged smoke that is part of a communal fire system. I can get the unit, but do not want to change it if will effect the system.

Any idea if it will?

Regards

Is this part of a conventional system or an addressable?

If you're not sure just get us the panel details - also what is the nature of the communal area?

How will it effect the system?
I assume that it is a like for like replacement. You will though need to test the new detector and note in the log book if there is one.

Hi there.

Its part of an old office block converted in to flats. I have been sent a picture of the sensor only. I was trying to preempt whether it can be done or if the people in charge of the maintenance of the system should do it.

I will get some more information before I do anything

Hi there.

Its part of an old office block converted in to flats. I have been sent a picture of the sensor only. I was trying to preempt whether it can be done or if the people in charge of the maintenance of the system should do it.

I will get some more information before I do anything

If they have a company maintaining the system then they should replace the detector.

Wasn't sure if they have tampers.

It will put the panel into fault, I assumed you knew this much. See above.

If there is a maintenance contract on the fire system then they should use that company, that is part of the point of having a maintenance contract so I would advise to leave it alone.

How will it effect the system?
I assume that it is a like for like replacement. You will though need to test the new detector and note in the log book if there is one.

What happens if this is an addressable system?
What if other contractors getting involved with the system void the maintenance terms?
Your advice is based on a conventional system only and thus may not be correct.

In fairness I have assumed it will tampers and I have advised the LL to get the building manager to get the company out to replace it.

They are still asking for me to have a look and I was seeking advice from more experienced people in this area.

I will leave this alone as what assumed appears to be correct.

Thank you for the information

What happens if this is an addressable system?
What if other contractors getting involved with the system void the maintenance terms?
Your advice is based on a conventional system only and thus may not be correct.

Yes Darkwood thanks very much for the lecture, I had assumed a basic knowledge of fire alarms see post 6.

Is this part of a conventional system or an addressable?

If you're not sure just get us the panel details - also what is the nature of the communal area?

Why? if the op does not know the difference were you really going to advise him?

See we can all superior.

Reply to Communal Smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net