Discuss Concentric wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

swifters

Could someone please explain to me a bit about concentric wiring? If you can't utilise an RCD as TLC direct claim below then how do you meet requirements of 17th edition??? Are they just talking about a combined neutral and earth concentric wiring? I imagine you could still use a RCD with concentric wiring that has a line, neutral and external concentric copper conductor encasing both line and neutral?

"Earthed concentric wiring may only be used under very special conditions, which usually involve the use of a private transformer supply or a private generating plant. Since there is no separate path for earth currents, it follows that residual current devices (RCDs) will not be effective and therefore must not be used. The cross-sectional area of the sheath (neutral and earth conductor) of a cable used in such a system must never be less than 4 mm² copper, or 16 mm² aluminium or less than the inner core for a single core cable. All multicore copper mineral insulated cables comply with this requirement, even a I mm² two core cable having the necessary sheath cross-sectional area. However, only single core cables of 6 mm² and below may be used. The combined protective and neutral conductors (sheaths) of such cables must not serve more than one final circuit.
Wherever a joint becomes necessary in the PEN conductor, the contact through the normal sealing pot and gland is insufficient; an extra earth tail must be used as shown in {Fig 5.19}. If it becomes necessary to separate the neutral and protective conductors at any point in an installation, they must not be connected together again beyond that point."

With split concentric treat it just as you would T+E. RCD protect it.

You can’t use combined concentric other than in a DNO supply, so it’s out of the normal realm.

RCD's wont become unballanced, as the N and E are combined. Consentric cables are really for DNO side only as after that they seperate to give us our seprate N and E. consentric as far as im aware is only a single core with outer protected sheath that is The N and E compined. Its not a seprate L and N. That would just be a kind of SWA :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone please explain to me a bit about concentric wiring? If you can't utilise an RCD as TLC direct claim below then how do you meet requirements of 17th edition??? Are they just talking about a combined neutral and earth concentric wiring? I imagine you could still use a RCD with concentric wiring that has a line, neutral and external concentric copper conductor encasing both line and neutral?

Well the issues are this..
Split concentric , where the earth and neutral conductors are separate , the earth strands only protect the live , not the neutral.
Which it means it offers less protection than swa cable.
Secondly , the insulation on the neutral strands is very thin , considerably less protection than on the live ( you'll notice this if you ever strip some wires back )
Its the second issue that causes debate as to how it can be used.

Thanks for all the replies, the site I saw today looked like it had a line and neutral (aprox 6mm each) encased in what looked like a 15mm copper pipe with an earth clamp connecting to the outer copper.

Reply to Concentric wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net