Discuss condition report codes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rwood1981

Hi I have carried out a condition report today and would like some opinions on a couple of items and coding. its an old spit DB 1 rcd so lighting and smokes are not rcd protected. Would that be a c3 or is it ok as I was instlled to 16th edition. Non metal DB coded 3.

1. Non IP65 downlights in bathroom. C2 or C3?

2. cooker wired inaluminium T&E?

3.No heat or co2 detector present. (I presume that's ok ,its only an issue as the propertywill be rented

Hi I have carried out a condition report today and would like some opinions on a couple of items and coding. its an old spit DB 1 rcd so lighting and smokes are not rcd protected. only a code if cablesburied in walls blah,blah.Would that be a c3 or is it ok as I was instlled to 16th edition. Non metal DB coded 3.no code in mybook.

1. Non IP65 downlights in bathroom. C2 or C3? how high are they? which zone if any?

2. cooker wired inaluminium T&E? code 3 if the cable is in good condition. code 2 or even a code 1 if it's in poor condition.

3.No heat or co2 detector present. (I presume that's ok ,its only an issue as the propertywill be rented

my thoughts in red.

Last edited:
Hi I have carried out a condition report today and would like some opinions on a couple of items and coding. its an old spit DB 1 rcd so lighting and smokes are not rcd protected. Would that be a c3 or is it ok as I was instlled to 16th edition. Non metal DB coded 3.

1. Non IP65 downlights in bathroom. C2 or C3?

2. cooker wired inaluminium T&E?

How high is the ceiling would be a important factor for the downlights.

CO detector. Carbon monoxide not dioxide detectors are required if there is a solid fuel burning appliance in the rental property. That is coal or a wood burner for example. Gas appliances should be covered by the annual CP12.

and if i'm not mistaken, IP44 is the recommended rating unless they are liable to be sprayed .

tinned copper is probably what it is as it was stranded I had not thought of that, Thanks Dave/Andy. The bathroom lights are eyeball tilts which I believe to be IP20 one is over the bath so you could say Z2 the rest outside zones at 2.3m.

tinned copper is probably what it is as it was stranded I had not thought of that, Thanks Dave/Andy. The bathroom lights are eyeball tilts which I believe to be IP20 one is over the bath so you could say Z2 the rest outside zones at 2.3m.

So is the ceiling stepped, or is it all 2.3 metres high? 2.25m is the threshold height for zone 2. Within zone 2 a minimum of IPx4 from memory. If the eyeball is likely to get splashed especially directly on the actual lamps surface a code is justified in my view. I would C2 a halogen lamp if it was around 2.3m and pretty much directly above where you are likely to stand in a shower. If it was at the other end of the bath I would consider a C3.

Last edited:
Just to add to what has already been posted:
A lighting circuit which supplies a location containing a bath or shower would now require RCD protection.
So a code C3 for "lack of RCD protection for all circuits of a location containing a bath or shower" would be applicable.

Reply to condition report codes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net