Discuss Confused about wiring for replacement ceiling lamp in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

piperd

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice on the wiring for a new ceiling light. I have taken down the original light, and I'm left with the wiring in the image ceiling_wiring_01.jpg. There are three cables coming off a connector block in the ceiling, each with a live and neutral and a single earth wire on its own.

I just need a neutral wire and a switched live to connect the new light. It does not need the earth wire as it is a double-insulated LED ceiling light. I tried to find the switched live wire (no sleeve on any wires to indicate which one it is) using a multimeter and the continuity buzzer. The buzzer does not sound when I test any combination of the live and neutral cables together. But I get a buzzer sound when I try any blue neutral wires together in any combination.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• ceiling_light_instruction_wiring_01.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 20
  • ceiling_wiring_01.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 20
Should have marked the wires before you disconnected but there is some hope. Pull the block connectors from the ceiling void but DO NOT DISCONNECT.
Can you show a pic of the new light connector.

Should have marked the wires before you disconnected but there is some hope. Pull the block connectors from the ceiling void but DO NOT DISCONNECT.
Can you show a pic of the new light connector.
Thanks for the information. I didn't put up the original light so I couldn't mark the wires. I cut out some more of the plasterboard to enlarge the opening, and the block had a bit of slack in it, so it fell through to see the original wiring to the block. See the attached images.

Attachments

• ceiling_light_replacement.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 14
  • ceiling_light_replacement_connections.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 18
  • ceiling_wiring_connector_block_01.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 18
To keep that as a Class II fitting all wires must be contained within that tiny connection box, none of the coloured insulation must be exposed which at present is not feasible (those block connectors cannot be left like that). You are going To need a separate joint box in the ceiling void with a two core flex to connect to the light.

To keep that as a Class II fitting all wires must be contained within that tiny connection box, none of the coloured insulation must be exposed which at present is not feasible (those block connectors cannot be left like that). You are going To need a separate joint box in the ceiling void with a two core flex to connect to the light.
Thanks again. The light comes with this sleeve that goes inside the light connection box; this would cover the coloured insulation. Can you explain the issues with the block connector? I thought these and Wago connectors were widely used.

Attachments

• ceiling_light_connection_sleeve.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 17
Connector blocks or Wagos must be enclosed.

Reply to Confused about wiring for replacement ceiling lamp in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net