Discuss Consumer unit position in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kelec1

-
Reaction score
Evening all.
My landlord is developing property and asked me today about the positioning of four consumer units for four separate units. His electrician has suggested putting the ccu's for all four flats underneath a communal staircase cupboard next to the distributors meters 'to save money'!!
how ridiculous I thought.
Ive been working on new builds, albeit on a larger scale for some time, but have never seen a communual consumer unit area....

your thoughts please )

This is a clear example of how BS7671 is distinctly lacking. Unless I'm mistaken, the regs should say that the CU should be positioned within the confines of each dwelling.

Would you want your neighbour to be in a position to switch off your electrics???

This is a clear example of how BS7671 is distinctly lacking. Unless I'm mistaken, the regs should say that the CU should be positioned within the confines of each dwelling.

Would you want your neighbour to be in a position to switch off your electrics???
absolutely agree, fall out with your neighbours and in the middle of cooking or whatever and power gets cut, no and lights start flashing on and off. Main fuse and isolation switch yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tenant is in shower, RCD trips, has to go down communal stairs to reset. I don't think so.

What ever happened to common sense??

Are you proposing that we now have the RCD's in the shower for convenience?

In this scenario it's probably safer to have the CU in a communal area as the tennant would have to get dried and dressed before resetting the RCD.

:p

Based on just a couple of months of experience - so don't pay too much heed :)
This setup seems to be pretty common, in low end - multiple occupancy.

Multiple occupancy (HMO's) are usually just regular houses used as bedsits basically. They have very little electrical alteration carried out in my experience.

Evening all.
My landlord is developing property and asked me today about the positioning of four consumer units for four separate units. His electrician has suggested putting the ccu's for all four flats underneath a communal staircase cupboard next to the distributors meters 'to save money'!!
how ridiculous I thought.
Ive been working on new builds, albeit on a larger scale for some time, but have never seen a communual consumer unit area....

your thoughts please )

His "Electrician" does not know what he is doing. Obviously it should have Non-RCD sub circuits to individual flats with consumer units within the flats feeding final circuits. Just look at any other flats where DNO supplies are not brought up to each one.

This could be an old wives tale but I was always taught that circuit runs could not go into another properties boundary. As most apprenticeships this was never backed up by a specific reg so maybe someone can help me out here.

Tell your landlord to find another electrician, or should i say ...''A Real Electrician''!! God knows what else he'll get up too, with ideas like that little gem??

Reply to Consumer unit position in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net