Discuss Consumer unit resposition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Client is wanting to remove the wall that his consumer unit is located on.

He has spoken to Western power and they are planning to relocate main incomer to a Electric meter box.

Then will his Electrical supplier will be moving his meter and tails aswell, I am planning to re-locate his fuse board to another cupboard which is around 2m from where it is currently which I don't have any issues with.

My question is are the electrical supplier likely to fit the meters next to the new fuse board position or outside by the main incomer?

Will the Electrical supplier put new tails into the consumer unit then? Even though it will be coming from outside in?

You could always ask the Electrical supplier to fit an isolator next to the meter, then you can just connect to that.

Will the Electrical supplier put new tails into the consumer unit then? Even though it will be coming from outside in?

No, not their responsibility.
You will need to run the new tails from new C.U position to the new meter position.
As Spoon has said, an isolator would make your job easier.
Bear in mind they'll cut off the old supply so you'll either need to temp supply the old C.U position or relocate / replace it at the same time the new supply is installed.

You may also need to fit protect in the meter cabinet if the run is too far away.

You say 2 metres away - if this is the cable run, then ok, but if it's generic distance, it's the cable/tail length that matters

Reply to Consumer unit resposition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net