Search the forum,

Discuss Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Most consumer units do come with a 'manual' - albeit often only one piece of paper - which may well detail whatever guarantee they offer against manufacturing defects in their product - They are supposed to be left with the consumer unit on installation for the user, but never get looked at. I try to ensure they are left on site.

Fortunately defects are fairly rare, and should have been picked up on install - the certificate is proof that the installation was tested and working to the current standards at time of install.

There will also I presume have been a notification to Building Control under Part P (If the property is in England) which is a declaration by the installer that things have been installed to the relevant building regulations. That may take a little longer to come through but should give you some peace of mind that things are as they should be,

Not sure whether it is the same with all schemes, but the NICEIC in theory covers the notifiable work for 6 years from the date of install, and should cover the costs of correcting any faults if not done correctly.

Though warranties don't cover external influences like surges etc. if you have the two relevant certificates then you should have covered yourself in terms of your liability to maintain a safe installation.

The electrician will guarantee the work Peevee. A consumer unit is not one item but several, and there are other things to consider like tails, glands and any work required to bring the installation to a condition that a board change can go ahead.

As a responsible landlord, you would have used a qualified electrician registered on the CPS register Home - https://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/ He/she will put right any problems that arise and by using someone from a scheme you can rest assured that they are fully insured.

Relax.

Thanks loz2754, It's a bit more reassuring but I'd still like to know how I go about a claim if this occurs. It might sound like I'm overreacting but I get the impression that the only loser out of all this is the owner who has to cough up. The tenant is protected by law, the contractor hides behind a short-term guarantee and the agent sits on the fence
I'm not sure what guarantee / warranty you are expecting could it be 5 or 10 years would you pay for a yearly or 2 yearly check on your installation to maintain your warranty like you do on a new vehicle, I very much doubt you would as you appear to be complaining about the cost of the CU, was the this work organised by a letting agent and did they take their %age adding to the cost
As a responsible landlord, you would have used a qualified electrician registered on the CPS register Home - https://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/ He/she will put right any problems that arise
I don't know why people keep on peddling this after seeing some of the posts on here the CPS is an embarrassment to this industry

I'm not sure what guarantee / warranty you are expecting could it be 5 or 10 years would you pay for a yearly or 2 yearly check on your installation to maintain your warranty like you do on a new vehicle, I very much doubt you would as you appear to be complaining about the cost of the CU, was the this work organised by a letting agent and did they take their %age adding to the cost

I don't know why people keep on peddling this after seeing some of the posts on here the CPS is an embarrassment to this industry
And I don't know why people keep on pedaling using unregistered un vetted electricians UNG, some of the posts on here regarding work done by handymen and chancers are an embarrassment to this industry.

For what it's worth, I was not 'peddling' anything, you do what you like. I pay to have my business checked annually by NAPIT, they check I have all the necessary insurances, qualifications, up to date publications, test equipment, knowledge of the regs and they inspect my work. All being well I go onto the CPS list. Now, by no means perfect but it's better than what was there before. Sure there are rogues out there, but as a layman with no electrical experience and not knowing any electricians, what's the best way to source someone to change my CU?.

What’s your message to any youngsters just getting into the industry? ‘You don’t need to bother with all that registration and red tape rubbish, just wing it’

I don’t think you'd say that.

That's a good point, I will have to look up how qualified a letting agent has to be and the required professional indemnity insurance against recommendations for contractors, if recommended by them they must be liable for the standard of work!

Lots of codicils in these type of contracts, would have to see the contract between the letting agent and the property owner to be sure, but any advice given by any letting agent must make them liable for the contractors performance, but not necessarily for the standard of work, especially if the letting agent asks the property owner to sign and accept the quotation.

The point I was trying to make is, the consumer unit as fitted is a construct of the electrician. Sure the consumer unit as bought will have a warranty but the 1st thing the sparky will do is knock holes in it, he will then fit other items such as mcbs, rcbos and maybe other things. It is a device made by him and he will guarantee it. If a device fails, the electrician will replace it under warranty.

I’d be interested to know if the OP demands the receipts for the various parts when he has work done on his car in case the mechanic goes out of business.

I will say however, I think for the electrician to say that the work is guaranteed for 1 year is a bit poor. Fine to say that the parts will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, but the work itself should be covered for life. By this I mean if I’ve done something wrong and it comes to light, I will go and put it right whenever. If an electrician fits an mcb poorly, let's say he fit it to the busbar incorrectly and it starts to burn, he can’t really say ‘I fitted that 2 ½ years ago mate so it’s out of guarantee’.

The point I was trying to make is, the consumer unit as fitted is a construct of the electrician. Sure the consumer unit as bought will have a warranty but the 1st thing the sparky will do is knock holes in it, he will then fit other items such as mcbs, rcbos and maybe other things. It is a device made by him and he will guarantee it. If a device fails, the electrician will replace it under warranty.

I’d be interested to know if the OP demands the receipts for the various parts when he has work done on his car in case the mechanic goes out of business.

I will say however, I think for the electrician to say that the work is guaranteed for 1 year is a bit poor. Fine to say that the parts will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, but the work itself should be covered for life. By this I mean if I’ve done something wrong and it comes to light, I will go and put it right whenever. If an electrician fits an mcb poorly, let's say he fit it to the busbar incorrectly and it starts to burn, he can’t really say ‘I fitted that 2 ½ years ago mate so it’s out of guarantee’.

The car repair scenario is a good analogy.

The problem I can see with this is that others will work on the CU during its working life. Besides additions and alterations, you've got fault finding and EICRs too, any of which can leave loose connections etc. You find yourself paying for someone else's cock-up a couple of years down the line. 1 year is reasonable IMO, there has to be a limit.

I think for the electrician to say that the work is guaranteed for 1 year is a bit poor. Fine to say that the parts will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, but the work itself should be covered for life.
1 year parts and labour is completely standard. I'm not sure what you expect. My garage only gives a year on works carried out on my van.

And in terms of EICRs totally unnecessary. A way of CPS’ to winkle more money from members.

The problem I can see with this is that others will work on the CU during its working life. Besides additions and alterations, you've got fault finding and EICRs too, any of which can leave loose connections etc. You find yourself paying for someone else's cock-up a couple of years down the line. 1 year is reasonable IMO, there has to be a limit.
I don't know why any of that would be a problem PM. I'm not guaranteeing the installation for life, if time has passed and I'm called to a fault where others have been involved then all bets are off. I'm just talking about my workmanship. I should have thought that even the law would say you're responsible for your own mistakes and that you can not discharge your responsibility after 12 months.

If that was the case then PL insurance would be a lot cheaper.

And I don't know why people keep on pedaling using unregistered un vetted electricians UNG, some of the posts on here regarding work done by handymen and chancers are an embarrassment to this industry.
I live in the real world there are many chancers and handymen with the absolute bare minimum of qualifications registered with the CPS's what does that tell you
For what it's worth, I was not 'peddling' anything, you do what you like. I pay to have my business checked annually by NAPIT, they check I have all the necessary insurances, qualifications, up to date publications, test equipment, knowledge of the regs and they inspect my work. All being well I go onto the CPS list. Now, by no means perfect but it's better than what was there before. Sure there are rogues out there, but as a layman with no electrical experience and not knowing any electricians, what's the best way to source someone to change my CU?.
They actually check you have the minimum qualifications necessary and they inspect a very small %age of your work, with regard to test equipment we won't go there as it might incriminate some o the assessors
What’s your message to any youngsters just getting into the industry? ‘You don’t need to bother with all that registration and red tape rubbish, just wing it’

I don’t think you'd say that.
I would tell them not to bother getting into the electrical industry as the industry is totally screwed and has been on the slippery slope since the introduction of Part P and the proliferation of dodgy training organisations all supported by the CPS's

I don't know why any of that would be a problem PM. I'm not guaranteeing the installation for life, if time has passed and I'm called to a fault where others have been involved then all bets are off. I'm just talking about my workmanship. I should have thought that even the law would say you're responsible for your own mistakes and that you can not discharge your responsibility after 12 months.

If that was the case then PL insurance would be a lot cheaper.
I will say however, I think for the electrician to say that the work is guaranteed for 1 year is a bit poor. Fine to say that the parts will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, but the work itself should be covered for life.
How would you prove, for example, 8 years after fitting a consumer unit, that it wasn't your work that caused an MCB to burn out due to a loose connection? If your client claimed no other person had worked on that board/circuit, and there was no obvious new work there, it would be difficult. So you would honour your lifetime guarantee?

Reply to Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back