Discuss Convert 110V Waffle Iron to 220V in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Fuses don't blow instantly when the current reaches that level - they have quite a bit of leeway built in. Something like 1.45 x rating for 30 mins and then it should have blown, rings a bell but would have to look it up to be certain.

Edit remember the rating of a fuse is the max current it can carry indefinitely, they only blow instantly when the current is many times the rating. On reflection think it is 1.45 times for 60 mins. Really not good - it will be stressing everything!

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you have got that wrong Marvo - if they are in parallel they will both have the full 230V across them. If they were in series they would be getting half that voltage each (assuming they are the same resistance).
Thanks Pushrod, you're spot on, at least one of us is awake.

I deleted that part from my post.

I can’t believe this thread!
People on this site bang on about the dangers of DIY electrical dabbling, and here it’s being actively encouraged.
At some point the thermostat will weld closed, the thermal fuse has got wire jammed in it!
Waffles won’t be the only things burnt!

I can’t believe this thread!
People on this site bang on about the dangers of DIY electrical dabbling, and here it’s being actively encouraged.
At some point the thermostat will weld closed, the thermal fuse has got wire jammed in it!
Waffles won’t be the only things burnt!

Take your point but i think there is a lot of difference to a DIYer installing permanent circuits and a physics student having a play with an appliance like a waffle maker, which by its nature is never left alone and works for just 3 mins at a time. I think there has overall been a reasoned input with due regard to safety and certainly no one AFAIK condoned permanently shorting out the thermal cut out/fuse. Your post also being very useful in pointing out dangers.

I suspect that if there had been no input from members that the OP would have just carried on regardless and the end result could have been a lot worse:)

I would like to say that I very much appreciate the concern for the dangers of this project. This is definitely something I'm trying to take in consideration and I'm going down to an excellent hardware shop to see if I we can wire the elements serially (my own soldering won't do at these temperatures). In addition, I'll see if I can replace the serial fuse.
To add though, as pushrod said, I'll be in the presence of this machine at all times when it's on. Because of the high current, the iron heats in about 30 seconds at max setting before the bimetal thermostat kicks in. It remains hot and only about 10 second bursts of current at approx 10 min intervals from the thermostat is needed to keep it that way.

Despite the price, the iron seems fairly well constructed and all metal parts of it have been grounded (including the top cover). None of the parts or wires seem to have been affected (no burning/melting) by the high current except for the thermal fuse.
A fire extinguisher is present at all times in case it decides to catch fire.

Thanks for all the tips, folks. I'll keep this thread running for any updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, everybody !
For me it was surprising that someone else have tried to mod this device from 110 to 220 =)
It was about one year ago when I bought such device at Amazon and found this funnny USA plug.
I'm not sure it's possible to attach images of what was inside to this message, so I'll do this in next one.

Ok, inside was a pretty simple circuit but with really messy wiring.
Original Schematics (110V):
110v_schematics.png
Corresponding wiring was:
110v_wiring.png
First of all it's easy to see that we really can connect plates in series without any danger to change their operation mode:
220v_schematics.png
Moreover, it's possible to reuse existing wires:
220v_wiring.png

And this works very fine! Cooking timings are as specified in manual for standard 110V mode.
Each waffle-making session lasts at least 1 hour, and no problems were detected during 1 year of exploitation (about 20-25 hours of heating).

May be this will help someone else who will buy this model from US =)

This thread must be ranked in google searches I assume. Many appliances like this have a different kilowatt rated element on the top and bottom, if you change element wiring from parallel to series you could get a different volt drop across each element which may result in uneven cooking of the waffles.

Apologies if someone has already suggested this but:

If you like this waffle iron so much then buy another one, wire them both in series, plug in - more waffles than you can eat!! (assuming frequency diff don't matter)

Bear in mind though - thermostat on one will shut off both so make sure you put all waffles in at the same time!!

lol

Never ceases to amaze me just how many fools purchase appliances and equipment from across the big pond without giving a second thought as to how they are going to power these appliances on a voltage system thats double the voltage that the equipment was designed to work with!!
Pure lunacy!!

The only safe way to use such appliances and the like, is to purchase a suitably rated and sized transformer. Far cheaper and wiser to purchase equipment suitable for use in the country in which you live. You'll also benefit in having a valid warranty to boot, ...if anything should go wrong in the first 12 months or whatever!!!!

simplest solution id to go to a wholesalers and buy a 1.5kva site tranny and a 110V plug. shove the tranny in a kitchen cupboard.

Reply to Convert 110V Waffle Iron to 220V in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock