Discuss Convert 110V Waffle Iron to 220V in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can't believe what your doing!! So what are you going to do now, ....buy a stock of these thermal cut-out gizmo's?? Either buy a suitable transformer, or purchase a model that is designed to work on our voltage band, ...namely 230 volt!!!

Can't really make out what it is doing from the pics? Mind no expert on recognising little thingmebobs! Is there anything on the other side of it? It will have been taking twice as much current as it was designed for - is there any sign of charring/burning - just guessing but it might be/have been some sort of thermal cut out? If you bypass it does it work?

No charring detected. However, it might be an internal fuse, although that wouldn't explain why it's attached to the heating plate. Might try to bypass it to see what happens.
I would prefer some advice on what it is before I do that though.

You could try googling images of thermal cut out or checking if there are any part numbers on it. If that is a thermal cutout , bypassing it for any length of time could mean that it gets dangerously hot and start a fire. TBH this has probs been running with twice the current it was designed for so everything on it has been overheated and stressed by all means have a play with it but i would not put it back into normal use, even on the correct voltage for it, unless it was properly tested first.

I'll look out for dutch syrup waffles :)

Based on what can be seen from the photos, the elements appear to be wired in parallel. You should be able to wire these up in series. Then you just need to find a new 'stat...

Based on what can be seen from the photos, the elements appear to be wired in parallel. You should be able to wire these up in series. Then you just need to find a new 'stat...

I hoped this was the case, but unfortunately they're in series. Would've made things a lot easier.

You could try googling images of thermal cut out or checking if there are any part numbers on it. If that is a thermal cutout , bypassing it for any length of time could mean that it gets dangerously hot and start a fire. TBH this has probs been running with twice the current it was designed for so everything on it has been overheated and stressed by all means have a play with it but i would not put it back into normal use, even on the correct voltage for it, unless it was properly tested first.

It might indeed be some thermal cutout or fuse. I'll see what I can find on google.

Is pearl sugar also known as sugar nibs - like little bits of sugar the size of match heads
cos i tried that and tried real yeast, as well as baking powder recipes, and a splash of rum, tried all sorts but couldn't get near those aldi ones!

Try leaving them wrapped up in plastic at room temperature for 5 days. They might be similar then. By Aldi ones I suppose you don't mean the pancake waffles?
Yes, pearl sugar is the same as nib sugar

Last edited by a moderator:
if you enjoy a waffle - get yourself down to "the waffle house" in Norwich town centre, was up there last weekend visiting my bro, insanely good. Humous, avacado and mozzarrella with a sweet chilli dressing served on a bed of wild rocket on a savoury large waffle......followed by a mixed chopped nut sweet waffle swimming in maple syrup. Im such a king. Mug off making your own, especially at this sort of hassle!

I've carefully studied the make up of the waffle iron and have concluded that it's indeed in parallel (damn, should've figured that out the first time). The attached picture is a diagram of the waffle iron.
AC = power imput
R1 = heating element attached to top plate
R2 = heating element attached to bottom plate
1 = probably "Ready" light
2 = probably "On/Off" light
Adj. Bimetal = bimetal thermostat which can be adjusted with the dial
? = the mystery part. This is attached to the top plate, but not to R1 other than a wire. It's attached with what seems to be a ceramic holder.

The heating elements have the following engraved on them "729K 115V 500W" (729K might be the max temp?)

Anybody any idea what this mystery part is. It might be a thermal fuse, but it does not seem broken and doesn't look at all like any thermal fuses I've seen. Perhaps it's purpose is for the "Ready" light, but the main power is directly attached to it.

(I've reattached the pictures of the part)
Waffle Iron.jpgHPIM0776.jpgHPIM0779.jpgHPIM0778.jpgHPIM0777.jpg

Okay, one leg of the power goes through a thermal non-resettable fuse AKA 'the mystery part' which then supplies one side of both elements that are wired in parallel.

Here's a link to a possible replacement from RS Components. It's a self resetting variety which looks best suited to your application, you'll just need to figure out a way of mounting it against the plate. You may also need some additional silicone sleeve to insulate the wires. Not sure of the temperature range you require, maybe around 150-200 Celsius at a guess.

Another option is pick something from the Honeywell redi-temp range.

The other adjustable component is a simmerstat (AKA energy regulator). It modulates the power to the elements on/off at different time ratios depending on the adjustable setting. It does not measure temperature of the plates, it's a 'blind' control. There will also be a Honeywell replacement available.

Last edited:
Hi, I like a lot of syrup on my waffles.

You say you want these irons because they make a special type of waffle, I'm assuming shape is the defining factor here? SO EITHER

....could you get a normal waffle iron and rape it of it's internal organs, shove them in the american iron and watch it go?

OR

My waffle irons are old school French jobbies, they are just some metal waffle shapes on some long old poles, you stick them on the stove to heat them up, then pour on the batter. Could you somehow weld some long poles to the form part of the waffle irons (disposing of the rest of the gubbins first) and use it as an old fashioned one?

So, in the end I've bypassed the thermal fuse by folding some copper wire between the gap. The iron is up and running, showing no differences than before the defect. This might not be the safest option and I'll probably be replacing it soon.

This brings me to my next question: anybody know where I can get a cheap waffle iron suitable for dutch syrup waffles (stroopwafels) which works on 230V. The dodgy one I have now is a Cuisinart Waffle Cone maker (see pic). The pattern of the irons are important for the waffles.

Thanks for all the tips.

waffle_cone_maker.jpg

which then supplies one side of both elements that are wired in parallel. The fact that the 2 x 110 volt elements are in parallal is the reason they haven't blown, they are acting as a voltage divider so when supplied with 230v the volt drop across each element is approx half of that.

[.

Think you have got that wrong Marvo - if they are in parallel they will both have the full 230V across them. If they were in series they would be getting half that voltage each (assuming they are the same resistance).

Billebaars when i originally calculated the current i did not know there were 2 elements(had only read from my first post). If the figures in the photos refer to each element and if as you say they are in parallel then the resistance is effectively halved since R was 26Ω
1/Rt = 1/r1 + 1/r2.
So Rt =13Ω
This means that the total current it is pulling is I=V/R = 230/13 = 17.6A eek!!!

just as well it has only been on for a few minutes at a time and not surprising that i think you said it was heating up really quickly and drawing a lot of power. You were lucky it wasn't popping the fuses in the plug top. I bet the flex was getting hot as well. Put those elements in series and you will have a completely different iron - drawing only 4.4A

But more worryingly is what these excessive currents have done to the cables i reckon you need to bite the bullet with it or completely rebuild it and move to the states to access their supply voltage ;)

edit just seen your post i wouldn't use it

This means that the total current it is pulling is I=V/R = 230/13 = 17.6A eek!!!
Would 17.6A not blow the 13A fuse in the plug? This doesn't occur

In addition, this appliance has been on a divider with other high power appliances and the fuse in the divider survived fine as well. Everything else in the iron seems fine and the smoke is actually from the remaining batter on the iron burning (by the smell of it)

Don't get me wrong, you're calculations don't lie, but the observations don't match. I can see if I can measure the power.

Thanks

Reply to Convert 110V Waffle Iron to 220V in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock