Discuss cooker diversity in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Applying diversity to a cooker is as follows.

Take the full load, 39.13A.

Take the first 10A of this, add 30% of the remaining current i.e 30% x 29.13 = 8.73A

Total load after diversity = 10A + 8.73A = 18.73A.

Also if the control unit has a socket outlet incorporated then you add an additional 5A.

So does that.^^^;)

Are you guys being serious??
Generally cooker supplies go in at either 32 or 40 amps, there is nothing out of the ordinary with the cooker being installed so dont trouble yourself over this.
Read the onsite guide, its there for a reason and you will be well within the capability of a 6 mm cable, assuming the run is not overly long

...but obviously didnt trust the answer.

Obviously hes not the only one. But as Sparks1234 quite rightly said, we`ve been given ample guidance to arrive at a sensible CSA. Quite why some don`t trust this, but trust everything else that the IET tell em` i really don`t know. :rolleyes:

No point in doing the maths if you`re gonna ignore the answer...

lol, you guys are going to hate me, but-

Do the same rules apply for a hob as a cooker? Obviously, the hob and cooker will normally share the same supply, but not always. How about an induction hob? I've just seen a hob rated at 6.7 kw.
I know its probably all in the regs/osg, but seeing as you like this thread so much.....;)
Also, whilst we are on the subject, if a cooker is physically incapable of drawing its rated current as electricAl pointed out, then er, why is that its rated current?! Surely, the manufacturers know how much current the cooker will draw, and put that on its rating plate, or is it just a question of them being safe (covering their backs),or lazy

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to cooker diversity in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net