Discuss Cooker switch not working? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a Cooker/crabtree switch but the cooker switch doesn't work? I currently have a gas cooker and it is currently on the "crabtree" switch but I'm looking into getting an electric cooker but I need to resolve this cooker switch problem first. I've replaced the switch with a new one but the problem remains the same, I turn on the "cooker switch" and the light on the switch indicates that it is on but it isn't transferring any power to my gas cooker. I'm not sure what else to do?

I have a Cooker/crabtree switch but the cooker switch doesn't work? I currently have a gas cooker and it is currently on the "crabtree" switch but I'm looking into getting an electric cooker but I need to resolve this cooker switch problem first. I've replaced the switch with a new one but the problem remains the same, I turn on the "cooker switch" and the light on the switch indicates that it is on but it isn't transferring any power to my gas cooker. I'm not sure what else to do?

Attachments

• 20210504_180705.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 12
There may be a cooker outlet behind your oven that this is connected to (it may have been changed from a cooker outlet to a regular socket or fused outlet plate)

Possible there's a loose connection or the fuse has gone.

The socket and cooker switch are fed by the same cable. If the socket works, power is getting to the cooker switch.
I know and that is what isn't making any sense, I can't figure out why the socket works when the switch is on crabtree but doesn't work when it's switched to cooker? Is it because every appliance i will not work on a high amp switch and only works on a low amp setting?

I suspect the gas cooker also needs an electric supply.
Assuming it's not dual fuel (gas hob and electric oven), then any electric supply will only be for igniters and maybe a timer, and that wouldn't normally come from a 45 supply, although a cable outlet plate could be changed for a 13A socket or a fused cable outlet plate.

I have uploaded more photos to make it more clear to what I mean, Crabtree setting my current gas cooker works but there is no power when switched to the cooker switch
20210504_180705.jpg
20210504_200126.jpg
20210504_200103.jpg
20210504_200109.jpg

It isn't a 'Crabtree setting' , just the manufacturers name happens to be in that location.
Look at my previous post, the cable from the main cooker switch is most likely terminated in an outlet plate behind the current gas cooker and not utilised right now.

The gas cooker electrics are plugged into the 13A socket. The cooker switch is currently unused.
Look behind the gas cooker, or in the cupboard directly below the switch, to see if there is an unused cable outlet plate.
It may be a good idea to look at your consumer unit and see what rating the MCB for the cooker circuit is before investing in an electric cooker.

I've replaced the switch with a new one but the problem remains the same, I turn on the "cooker switch" and the light on the switch indicates that it is on but it isn't transferring any power to my gas cooker
If you replaced the whole cooker switch you presumably believe the 45A wiring to the cooker outlet plate below (behind your cooker) is correctly connected. How do you know that it doesn't work? Had you previously tried connecting your gas cooker (currently on the 13A plug), to the cooker switch outlet below?

Reply to Cooker switch not working? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net