Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Council flat rewire with concrete ceiling and floors??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Grant M

I have a customer who wants a full rewire of his newly purchased ex-council flat. The problem is the ceiling and floor are solid concrete. The only thing I could think of is to put in false ceilings in throughout. Any other suggestions?

It all done in steel conduit, from when the building first went up. The customer doesn't want any of the sockets or lights where they are currently situated.

If you go with the false ceilings then you can also put some downlighters in if you like.

We did a few flats like this, if you get the ceiling battened out with timber, then cross batten it at 90 degrees, there is no drilling of timbers and it is so easy to wire

If the customer will not accept surface mounted trunking through out, (which can look proper nasty) Then a false ceiling with chases down the wall I think is the best option. Remember to let the customer know the work involved and that the price will be alot more. Don't under price it otherwise it's soul destroying! Also remember there are certain depths you are allowed to chase horrizontally and vertically (according to part P). It may be worth avoiding the job. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a customer who wants a full rewire of his newly purchased ex-council flat. The problem is the ceiling and floor are solid concrete. The only thing I could think of is to put in false ceilings in throughout. Any other suggestions?

done alot of these,with care and silicon mini trunking in discreet corners follow skirting and tight to ceiling lines.once painted,after a while customer will not notice.

my aunt is moving into a council flat soon and wants all of the trunking removing and the cables to be buried in the concrete walls. are you allowed to chop into concrete in towerblocks though?!:confused:

i'm thinking of suggesting she gets some new skirting boards as the old ones are old and tatty anyway and fitting them onto some timber so they're a couple of inches off the wall, a bit like boxing the cables in. could run the cables in conduit for extra protection. would save about three days of chopping out. :)

Reply to Council flat rewire with concrete ceiling and floors??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net