Discuss Crimp once, crimp twice, think bike... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

John-

-
Reaction score
Hi

Yea, showing my age now... I purchased an SWA crimping tool for plus 10mm cables.

Wasn't sure how many times to apply the tool to lugs and through crimps. Checked with SWA and they said, after a bit of searching, ‘once is enough, but if space, twice.’

How many times do you crimp? Since the advent of the ratchet crimper, i have only ever applied once, even to through crimps.

Cheers

John

I have the SWA-band crimp tool (big handles that close fully, not ratchet style) that does the hex style of crimp on the lugs. Generally I always try to get 2 crimps on to them, one as far as the lip allows the tool to sit, 2nd just above that.

I don't know if it is needed or not, but to me it just makes sense to have as much tight contact points as it can sensibly support.

I think you might be using the same hexagon tool as me:
150mm² ratchet crimp tool at SWA
Although I think my one predates SWA selling it themselves. One crimp should be sufficient but if the terminal is long enough I'll use two. I try to avoid crimping the very end of the tube so that there is a fairlead for the strands, also any part of the socket that is not filled with cable as this can distort the rest of the terminal.

I also use an indent crimp tool for special situations as outlined by Darkwood in the other thread, where the hex die doesn't match the terminal / cable complement correctly.
This one:
Adjustable indent crimp tool

if the crimp tool ain't good enough a hammer will fix.

don't mention bikes. tried to put some Apollo smoke detectors on ebay. site kept asking for details of the bike. apparently there is a make of bike called apollo. wtf is the frame and wheel size of a smoke detector???

Reply to Crimp once, crimp twice, think bike... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net