Discuss CU change on an unsafe property in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Edd

Any Ideas where you stand if you are asked to change a consumer unit in a property that is classed as electrically unsafe but with a new duel RCD board and gas/ water bond will be a lot safer than it was?
metal lights no earth, no ring continuity etc.
There is absolutely no chance of doing any other work in the house why its lived in..
Thx

It all depends on what is wrong!

You must have bonding in place before any work is carried out!
You can do a CU change on a property with no CPC in lighting but you must note it on the certificate
If they want a CU change why wont they consider a rewire on the lighting circuit as well - wont cost to much - even if they did it themselves (or run the wires themselves and got you to terminate so you can sign it off)

I have the same situation with a next door - cant afford to pay me to do the rewire so they have run all the cables (supplied all cables) and when I do the CU change on the weekend I have to terminate everything.
I dont mind doing it that way as they have helped me out alot since I moved into the new house - also I have given them advice on locations and lent them my rods to make running cables easier.

Also you say the rewire cant be done whist they are living there - I have 4 rewires (plus the one above) to do on my street over the next month and all will be done with the occupant living in the house, no roofs have to come down! just find the direction the joists are running and rod the cables from light to light, and when you have to cross joists make a small hole (so you can get an angle drill up) and do it that way - makes limited mess and quick to do. If you can access the joists at the end of the building it makes it easier again.

I rewired a house in 3 hours this way with upstairs and downstairs lighting! - sockets are on Monday!

Its a prefab concrete house that's covered in asbestos containing artex to floors and walls. its a tenanted property not owned.. would be a complete surface rewire and would have to be stripped of asbestos before we can work on it..

The other option is what the council does - leave all old wires in place and do surface mount (trunking) to hold all cables. You will need to drill the walls to mount the boxes to the wall.
The only problem is the asbestos - you cant even do a CU change without drilling into that stuff.

If your happy to drill into it then think about surface mount - cheaper and quicker - a team of 4 electricians can do a 3 up and 2/3 down in 1 day.

The other option is what the council does - leave all old wires in place and do surface mount (trunking) to hold all cables. You will need to drill the walls to mount the boxes to the wall.
The only problem is the asbestos - you cant even do a CU change without drilling into that stuff.

If your happy to drill into it then think about surface mount - cheaper and quicker - a team of 4 electricians can do a 3 up and 2/3 down in 1 day.

why would anyone be happy to drill in a wall containing asbestos these days,with all the h&s regs, drill into a wall like that the council/housing association will have the tennant moved out,the asbestos contractors in to remove/make safe and you will foot the bill.

Reply to CU change on an unsafe property in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net