Discuss CU enclosure replacement: repair? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer has cracked the corner of his CU, with a little effort you can get your finger through the crack. I am going to swap the plastic CU chassis, but not in any way alter any of the circuits. I am thinking this is a repair, and hence not notifiable, any thoughts? Also, beyond checking the earthing and bonding, I am not planning on doing any further testing. What do you guys think?

can you not glue a patch over the damage to reinstate the IP rating?

can you not glue a patch over the damage to reinstate the IP rating?

I could, but it's too bad for that (I think), and the corner chunk is actually missing. I might do that though Tel, would certainly save faffing about. Will need to have another look later today. The CU is on the wall in the hallway, on display, so he is more bothered about how it looks than the safety issues!

You are repairing part of an electrical enclosure so it should meet the IP requirements and be suitable for external influences.
If you are replacing the part that the circuits pass through then the cable entries should be safe.
Also if you are disconnecting all circuits to do this then the circuits should be tested to ensure they are safely reconnected.
That is about it I think.

Imho if replacing the chassis means disconnecting the cu I would do the normal EIC tests. You never know what you will find!

I've used a piece cut from PVC trunking and the solvent adhesive for conduit or drain pipe to cover up an unused hole in an insulated CU before. Works well.

Reply to CU enclosure replacement: repair? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm planning a replacement for my existing domestic CU and would like to have it sanity checked before I get an electrician involved. The main...
Replies
Views
Hi all, After months of waiting, the fused neutral cut-out at my parents house has been replaced but I am concerned about the main earth. I...
Replies
Views
Hello All I was pondering an idea recently regarding the ground connection to my property. At present it has a combined Neutral to earth at the...
Replies
Views
I am due to carry out an electrical job in a third floor flat. Incoming supply is TN-S. Cannot locate a main earthing conductor inside the CU on...
Replies
Views
I have an old home that was purchased 35 years ago, all wiring is original from that time and it still has the old fusebox installed the type that...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock