Discuss CU in dot and dab cavity. in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electromonkey

Bonjour

Can anyone tell me if it is acceptable to place a consumer unit inside the cavity of a dot and dab plasterboard wall or does it have to be surface mounted?

Cheers

Do you mean instead of fixing it to the plasterboard, fixing it to the solid wall behind it and having it poking through?
Sounds sensible to me, provided there is adequate access to the inside of the board, ie you don't want to have to rip all the plasterboard off every time you want to have a quick look inside the CU.

It all boils down to accessibility. If you can gain access with a tool or a key that's fine. If you need a pad saw, that's a no no.

Isn't a pad saw a tool?
You know what I mean mate :). Screwdriver etc and not an sds chisel lol. Phil in a night club last year whilst it was having some modifications done, the plasterers boarded over a 3 phase dis board! We were tempted to just get the fubar out to release it from its containment but he just got the manager to get them back out (idiots).

I think its ok. Could be worse. I've seen a new 17th daul rcd board, with the only access to it was taking out 2 kitchen base units, God knows how he would have turned on an mcb you simply couldnt get to it,

Reply to CU in dot and dab cavity. in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I would like to hide the cable to an EV charger. The consumer unit, meter cabinet and charger would all be on the same wall. About 5 metres from...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently had an EICR done at my property which unfortunately was unsatisfactory. So the electrican advised a new fuseboard from BG General...
Replies
Views
Howdy DIY soldiers, first post here. My question comes down to whether it would be particularly unsafe for me to temporarily wire nut and tape a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hope someone can help 😊. I am looking at running a transformer extension lead behind my dot dab plasterboard wall. My wife bought a Led...
Replies
Views
Hi all, looking for some clarification on MCB and cable sizes I need to run for a new kitchen. Cables will run through a combination of...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock