Discuss Curious how the UK EHV network fits together? Check out this map site in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Interesting map, though is is missing the 11kV segment that feeds us of the Errol substation (only part of route shown).

I had been wondering about the HV/EHV lines that have 6 cable sets as two either side of the pylon, are they:
  • Simply parallel pairs of 3-phase
  • Separately protected 3-phase sets (in which case can it run for any length of one set fails, or is there load shedding at next sub-station?)
  • 6-phase for whatever reason?
Maybe @UKMeterman or @Julie. will have an answer?

Shows just how sad I am - I just scrolled around the country looking at the power stations and saying 'I've worked there, haven't worked there, worked there.....'

@pc1996
A simple rule with pylons, if each arm has a single cable each side then it's 132kV (usually DNO). If two cables its 275kV. If 3 or 4 then it's 400kV. Each side of a pylon is a seperate line and can be switched out independantly to the opposite side.

@pc1996
A simple rule with pylons, if each arm has a single cable each side then it's 132kV (usually DNO). If two cables its 275kV. If 3 or 4 then it's 400kV. Each side of a pylon is a seperate line and can be switched out independantly to the opposite side.

It is not always the rule. Localy the 275kV circuit that powers Cardiff and a large lump of south wales is single conductor. Each side is seperate circuit and can be switched indpendantly.

Yes, it's just a general rule. I've also seen 400kV on twin conductors. The distance/load is also a factor

Quite intersting

Being a cynical chap I did note that the Scottish remote islands are now getting grid connections, obviously nothing to do with the large abundance of renewable power from these remote places

Scotland has (apparently) about 30% of Europes renewable energy potential

Absolutely. Makes perfect sense to have good links from power generating equipment to feed the grid. That's kind of the idea of the National Grid.

And to help distribute the Scottish generated power you've got the DC interconnector between Hunterston and Deeside.
That is interesting, I guess there must be some special reason(s) for the DC system. I believe part of the reason for the UK-EU links being DC was to avoid having to run grids synchronously, but I presume here it has something to do with lower total losses?

That is interesting, I guess there must be some special reason(s) for the DC system. I believe part of the reason for the UK-EU links being DC was to avoid having to run grids synchronously, but I presume here it has something to do with lower total losses?

The Scottish power grid and the England grid are strong compared to the interconnection. There are issues regaring reactive power transfer from North to South. If the link is DC then there are no issues regaring reactive power transfer, stablity limits or the reactive power consumed by a rather capacative cable...

The Scottish power grid and the England grid are strong compared to the interconnection. There are issues regaring reactive power transfer from North to South. If the link is DC then there are no issues regaring reactive power transfer, stablity limits or the reactive power consumed by a rather capacative cable...
Thanks for the info!

Always interesting to find out about other area that you don't normally deal with :)

Interesting map, though is is missing the 11kV segment that feeds us of the Errol substation (only part of route shown).

I had been wondering about the HV/EHV lines that have 6 cable sets as two either side of the pylon, are they:
  • Simply parallel pairs of 3-phase
  • Separately protected 3-phase sets (in which case can it run for any length of one set fails, or is there load shedding at next sub-station?)
  • 6-phase for whatever reason?
Maybe @UKMeterman or @Julie. will have an answer?
Just picked this up.

When there are 6 cable sets on a transmission tower, this means there are two circuits, they may be operated in parallel or actually split off at some point to two different destinations or sources.

In the main the two circuits are split between sides, but this isn't necessarily always the case.

Looking at one side, the centre bundle 'sees' a phase each side (top/bottom), the top, only one conductor below, and the bottom bundle 'sees' one other conductor bundle and the ground. This means that each phase would end up with different reactances to each other!

This is a problem with distance protection as the x/r would be different for each phase so you need different characteristic angles (RCA) on the relay for each phase, which isn't possible.

So the cables are transposed, on a 90km line L1 will spend 30km at the top, 30km in the middle and 30km on the bottom etc to balance things out.

With two circuits and longer lines, all 6 bundles may be transposed to balance between phases and between circuits, when this occurs obviously the circuit-per-side isn't maintained over the whole length.

The number of conductors in each bundle also gives a rough idea of voltage - more conductors in a bundle - higher voltage; although this isn't always true, as a particular circuit may be associated with say a power station interconnector whose rating is fairly low, so a single, or twin conductor bundle, but still at 400kv (would normally be 4 conductor bundle for 400kv, 1 may be 132/275kv 2 may be 275kv usually).

Basically you could make an educated guess at the voltage, and layout based on sides and bundle sizes, and it would be fairly reasonable.

(However the moment you say it confidently out-loud; this will be one of those exceptions!!)

Just picked this up.

When there are 6 cable sets on a transmission tower, this means there are two circuits, they may be operated in parallel or actually split off at some point to two different destinations or sources.

In the main the two circuits are split between sides, but this isn't necessarily always the case.

Looking at one side, the centre bundle 'sees' a phase each side (top/bottom), the top, only one conductor below, and the bottom bundle 'sees' one other conductor bundle and the ground. This means that each phase would end up with different reactances to each other!

This is a problem with distance protection as the x/r would be different for each phase so you need different characteristic angles (RCA) on the relay for each phase, which isn't possible.

So the cables are transposed, on a 90km line L1 will spend 30km at the top, 30km in the middle and 30km on the bottom etc to balance things out.

With two circuits and longer lines, all 6 bundles may be transposed to balance between phases and between circuits, when this occurs obviously the circuit-per-side isn't maintained over the whole length.

The number of conductors in each bundle also gives a rough idea of voltage - more conductors in a bundle - higher voltage; although this isn't always true, as a particular circuit may be associated with say a power station interconnector whose rating is fairly low, so a single, or twin conductor bundle, but still at 400kv (would normally be 4 conductor bundle for 400kv, 1 may be 132/275kv 2 may be 275kv usually).

Basically you could make an educated guess at the voltage, and layout based on sides and bundle sizes, and it would be fairly reasonable.

(However the moment you say it confidently out-loud; this will be one of those exceptions!!)
I do know of cases where the circuit is 275KV one side and / 400KV the other (look at the connections to ELLAND) and another circuit where the plylon says 400kV but it 275 kV on the system schmatic (Usk power station)

Reply to Curious how the UK EHV network fits together? Check out this map site in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net