Discuss Cut outs and meter boxes IP ratings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been asked to look into this for a project where the client is specifying an IP rating for equipment within the meter box. I know that there have been numerous discussions on siting additional equipment within the meter box other than the service cut out and the meter and possibly an isolation switch and who can or can't fit anything in there. But I cannot find anything on Cooper Bussmann/Lucy/Henly cut outs (I know they do not have an IP rating... especially as the line/neutral exit at the top of these!! :yesnod:) and as regards the meter boxes.... asking them for information is like finding hen's teeth!!!! Just wondering if any of you have ever had the unfortunate pleasure of trying to find out this info??? :mad2: Thanks!!!!

The cut-outs are the DNO’s concern, not yours.

As for other equipment installed by you, I’m not surprised the customer wants IP rated equipment. How often do you see the cabinet door swinging open or missing all together? You can’t rely on the cabinets IP rating.

Tony, thanks for the reply. The project.... is for the DNO as it is some new kit they are considering and have asked the question. I know there are always tons of doors hanging off but have asked a few companies like Ritherdon who make a replacement new door and frame to replace broken ones what their product ip offers and they've still not come back to me!!!!! Joy of Joys!!!!

Dependent on the size of the items your fitting, room etc... I know meter cupboards aren't the biggest of locations, but could you fit them in a small I.P rated enclosure within the cupboard?

Rob2, the equipment would be better rated than the door arrangement and definitely better than the service head. However cost is an issue but at least I have a bit of a reply from one manufacturer now... we haven't IP tested our cabinets but they would be approximately IP44! Gotta love em!!!!

Isn't it just!!!! But I'll bet if it was gonna get them a big contract they'd cobble together a data sheet!!! Surely if they have to comply to BS8567 they would instantly have any IP rating to hand!?!?!?

Everything has an IP rating, whether or not it's tight enough for your clients requirements is another thing! I wouldn't recommend making one up for kit you've designed and manufactured. We have our cabs type tested at a test house (3rd party independent), who also do if necessary vibration testing, temperature testing high and low, drop testing.

Something doesn’t ring true here.

I really can’t see one of the DNO’s approaching a third party to carry out basic research. Now that said third party is asking a bunch of random guys on the internet for advice.

From you’re first post 14/01/2014

Hello to you all, Having my first ever Domestic Installer assessment on Thursday (Was previously a QS for 11 years for an approved contractor... but that was 5 years ago!!) and was wondering had anyone just had an assessment or knows what they are majoring on at the moment? Thanks in advance!

Tony, nothing underhand here at all! Yes my first post was a request for any info on what the assessors were majoring on in the half day visit (Passed by the way) and was a QS for a large company for 11 years but hadn't done this for 5 years so was a little cautious! Regarding the DNO approaching us... it is completely the other way around. We are in discussions with the DNO for the potential installation of some kit that will aid monitoring for the DNO and they have asked the question on IP rating for suitability. We all know that there are tons of boxes out there with doors hanging off or broken so an IP suitability is a bit rich of a question but one asked all the same.

Reply to Cut outs and meter boxes IP ratings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net