Discuss Cutting wall tiles in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rwb

Hi people,
Anybody got any useful tips on the best way to trim wall tile that over hang the edge of back boxes (without accidently making them fall off and then telling the customer the tiler had not fixed them correctly)

Tell them the risks before you touch them, and explain that the tiler should have made a neater job diplomatically of course.:D Then use a diamond blade on a 4.5in angle grinder or fein multimaster with a diamond grit blade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fein multimaster.

There is a thread ongoing in tools and products.

there has to be better ways than my way, this is a weak area of mine and will be learning from this thread. If I can nip the tile off I will, and sandwich it between two bits of batten then attack with the flat side of an angle grinder or big file, I find once the ceramic surface has been breached then it will sand easily, depends on how big the problem is. If filing or sanding is done in a circular motion, it usually wont fetch the tile off.

I learnt the hard way with tiles falling off, so now carry a small tub of adhesive in the van for emergencies.

I always tell the customer that there may be a problem before starting but they are usually not too bothered and then extra happy if the tiles are still intact when I have finished

Depending on how much needs to be removed I use a carbide file for removing small amounts or a Rotozip with a tile cutting bit for the removal of larger bits

i agree with penywise about talking to customer first, and that an angle grinder would do it. another option is to drill a lot of small holes as close to each other as possible along the line you want to cut, then go through the same holes on an angle (trying to join the holes together almost) and this wil weaken it enough to break it off. being v gentle of course

I normally use a terminal screwdriver and a hammer to chip the edge off the tile. With a few deft blows the small tip of the screwdriver removes small pieces of the tile at a time. I normally try to just remove the tile around the screw lug and then try the socket for size and if necessary trim a bit more off.

Nick

Reply to Cutting wall tiles in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net