Discuss Cypriot Banks in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Does not matter removing your money it's retrospective......Spain next ?? If I had money there I'd be moving it somewhere else

Its a very dangerous move they have made it could start a panic withdrawal of money in all debted EU countries which would be a start of a collapse we are protected here as we have goverment protection to the first 80k of savings but what was really nasty of what happened is how they did it because they are not allowed to directly raid bank accounts so they created a one of tax levy of up to 10% and peoples accounts and this way it was a tax and not a direct raid .... now they have shown their cards this could do alot of damage as ripples are already happening ..... as for us your money is safer in the bank as its not insured at home but it is in the bank.

Its a very dangerous move they have made it could start a panic withdrawal of money in all debted EU countries which would be a start of a collapse we are protected here as we have goverment protection to the first 80k of savings but what was really nasty of what happened is how they did it because they are not allowed to directly raid bank accounts so they created a one of tax levy of up to 10% and peoples accounts and this way it was a tax and not a direct raid .... now they have shown their cards this could do alot of damage as ripples are already happening ..... as for us your money is safer in the bank as its not insured at home but it is in the bank.

But do we have government protection against the government taking money out of our accounts? :confused5:

Sounds like theft to me. What if you've just taken out a big loan for something and the money is in your account!

I've got an about 8 year debt with a certain bank for several 1000s.
They can go and p!ss up a fooking rope! The way they treated me at the time. :-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------:

Apparently I'm only allowed to post 10 of the above image at one time! :)

But do we have government protection against the government taking money out of our accounts? :confused5:

Sounds like theft to me. What if you've just taken out a big loan for something and the money is in your account!

Well a certain one eyed Scots git raided all the private pension schemes after his mate had told everyone to get a pension and save for later life

I've got an about 8 year debt with a certain bank for several 1000s.
They can go and p!ss up a fooking rope! The way they treated me at the time. :-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------::-------:

Apparently I'm only allowed to post 10 of the above image at one time! :)

Funny you should say that ............... :yes:

We are not in the Euro and therefore can't fall foul of EU meddling ...our banking system is now ring-fenced for our protection and even if the bank went bust then upto 80k you will be covered ... over that you share you money between different banks to keep the cover and where you are in the millions then you have an accountant to do what necessary to protect your dosh... it would be beyond stupid to take you money out of the bank in this country and keep it at home... the best home insurance wont see more than 1k cash cover but in the bank its protected the goverment has protected your money and they would commit political suicide if they changed the law to get at your money direct.

It isnt going to happen here we are not under the same EU financial rules we are not part of the Euro, Cyprus is a country asking for a bailout they are basically on their knees begging for rescue and are having to impose this themselves to pay off their debts that the oh so brilliant EU set them up for this big fall.... Merkel and the rest of her chums are playing a dangerous game and have Spain, Italy, Greece, Cyprus etc all stood on stools with nooses around their necks and they have the option of kicking the stool from under them...

Its desperate measures from an EU 'STATE' to stop any member country defaulting on their bailouts because such a move could trigger a domino effect and be the catylist that brings down the whole system.

Last edited:
The father-in-law is a Cypriot, he's got a couple of very wealthy cousins, one of which only banks with the bank of Cyprus (some patriotic thing)! Anyway the father-in-law says no ones heard from him for two days, he says they think he might be camped outside the bank!!lol

Seems like the UK Gov has promised to reimburse any UK Military personnel in Cyprus for their losses, so I guess we are all affected anyway....as the Gov only has our money to play with. Reminds me of Northern Rock a couple of years ago.

Reply to Cypriot Banks in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net