Discuss Danger!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lordy9099

Came across this today. I have been fitting an alarm and started yesterday, they have a basement and I have been running my cables down there and turn round today and saw this... Very worrying and I was not impressed by the consumer unit itself. For start the downstairs sockets was on a 20A and apparently was asked firstly could I have a look why it was tripping and told them that was the problem, but now I think there is more of a bigger problem... What do you think?

2013-07-06 13.46.43.jpg2013-07-06 13.46.50.jpg2013-07-07 09.20.49.jpg2013-07-07 09.20.54.jpg

upstairs Sockets on a 6A and lights on a 32A, assuming RCD is protecting LHS breaker, ground floor sockets on a 20A. You just have to take the cover off, curiosity would get the better of me ;-)

Bejesus!

also, bit difficult to make out but it appears the lights are on a 32amp and sockets on a 6amp

Tell me about it, I think that the numpty who installed it wrote them the wrong way round (I Hope!!!) and the owner wonders why it keeps tripping lol

upstairs Sockets on a 6A and lights on a 32A, assuming RCD is protecting LHS breaker, ground floor sockets on a 20A. You just have to take the cover off, curiosity would get the better of me ;-)

Who ever did this some how jammed a MCB of a different make into the cover and so when I am pulling the cover off the MCB is coming with it. But that is not the main problem, the big problem is down in the basement

- - - Updated - - -

Quality. Maybe suggest a rewire or at the very least a bit of a tidy up and CU checkup!?

Defo!!!

It looks like there is no ring main, it just looks like one cable ran from the MCB and choc blocked down in the basement (where the owner wont see and will never know, no one has been down for years apparently ) and one cable ran to each other socket so there is only 1 2.5mm cable handling all the load from every socket, I mean they even have an electric oven, no wonder they put a 20A on it I mean just imagin how hot that cable must have got if the kettle and oven and washing machine at the same time and failed to trip!!!!

Do you need to get involved with that lot as part of the job you're doing?

Well I need to wire my panel up to the light circuit and my plan was to run it to the consumer unit down into the basement and up to the panel but now I am having second thoughts and telling them I will not be touching it until they get it rewired and fully checked with a NICEIC certification to prove to me that this have been checked and is safe and I think it might fail don't you. I don't want to starting adding to this problematic electric in this house with the state it is in!!! They are apparently selling it or renting it soon. Good luck with that at the moment!!!

OK, you have had a first things first, I'll give you that. Second things second, there are many other part 'P' providers out there too !!!!!

Just thought I'd point that out.......

Reply to Danger!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net