Discuss Dangerous amazon electrical products in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Over the years iv seen an influx of people purchasing fixtures, accessories and other electrical equipment from amazon.

Not the best quality but previously they have been safe to use after good inspected. However, lately i have had some rather dangerous pieces of electrical equipment.

Recently i had to install 2 different light fixtures for someone. Both class 1 fixtures and both have a 3 terminal block installed. That's all fine, the problem is, the fixtures came with a 2 core flex already terminated.

The concern here is obvious, someone could potentially connect the 2 core (either by ignorance or mistake) and walk away leaving a class 1 fitting with no cpc.

I came across this article this morning.

Be careful with any fixtures and fittings but be more mindful of products from such sources.

It's amazing the amount of dangerous electrical stuff out there, mostly from amazon and ebay, but also plenty of other on line shops. Banggood is another one.

Look how many items come fitted with mains plugs without fuses and not meeting clearance regulations.

It's amazing the amount of dangerous electrical stuff out there, mostly from amazon and ebay, but also plenty of other on line shops. Banggood is another one.

Look how many items come fitted with mains plugs without fuses and not meeting clearance regulations.
Its not just on Amazon, I've recently installed some class 2 metal lights bought from a well known store. The only apparent additional protection is a black rubber sleave for the feed cable and the internal wiring is double insulated. It seems odd earthing the chassis looks to be simple.

It's a bugbear of mine.

A push for part p and other unworkable changes, just increased costs for people who do, or want a proper job done; yet those with no intention of doing things right just carry on.

Yet no action against clearly dangerous goods from all sorts of places.

As you say, totally non compliant plugs - insulation on the earth pin, so it doesn't actually connect to the cpc on the outlet, class 2 stuff that isn't, even down to the wrong colours in light fittings - at b&q as well as other places.

I was looking at one luminaire in one of these stores - the wiring was black and white, no earth, metal fitting and the black was connected to the centre pin on the es holder - which was not to standard, the screw portion was metal all the way and permanently connected - easily touchable when replacing the lamp. And if the diyer just went black to black, red to white (which makes most sense) then it would be exposed live!

It's a bugbear of mine.

A push for part p and other unworkable changes, just increased costs for people who do, or want a proper job done; yet those with no intention of doing things right just carry on.

Yet no action against clearly dangerous goods from all sorts of places.

As you say, totally non compliant plugs - insulation on the earth pin, so it doesn't actually connect to the cpc on the outlet, class 2 stuff that isn't, even down to the wrong colours in light fittings - at b&q as well as other places.

I was looking at one luminaire in one of these stores - the wiring was black and white, no earth, metal fitting and the black was connected to the centre pin on the es holder - which was not to standard, the screw portion was metal all the way and permanently connected - easily touchable when replacing the lamp. And if the diyer just went black to black, red to white (which makes most sense) then it would be exposed live!
This "cure by regulation" approach is endemic across all sectors and always ends up the same, the conscientious buried under a mountain of red tape and the fly by nights carrying on regardless, undercutting, cutting corners and getting away with it.

Dangerous carp leaks into the supply chain everywhere. I did a little survey of the IEC C13 power cables bundled with some high-end professional electronic products costing hundreds or thousands of pounds per unit, sourced via the manufacturers' appointed distributors, and found some with fake approvals, counterfeit fuses, non-compliant construction.

Caveat Emptor.

Reply to Dangerous amazon electrical products in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net