Discuss Decent multifunctional tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm after a decent priced multifunctional tester . I know a few be knocking about on ebay. Can anyone name a couple that I could potentially look for?

I'm still studying in level 2.

Thanks

To be honest any of the main brands , Megger, Fluke ( Robin ) , Kewtech are all much of a much and all do the basic tests you need for an install job.

Thanks for that.

What basic things should I look out for as a minimum. Because I was looking at one and realised it didn't do everything like a new one . So I didn't bother buying it.

What should be a minimum or and bonus things ?

If your work is going to be rural rather than in town, you may need earth spike testing very few offer this on the budget side of MFT's, just a heads up.

Thanks mate... I'm still On level atm. But I guess my work would be working more in urban areas as I live in a big city... installation, eicrs etc.

Going back to the questions….
As already said, you can’t go wrong with Megger 150x or newer or Fluke. For ages they have covered all the bases.
Metrel do a very good budget unit called mi 3125. Unusually for its price point it can do the 3 point earth testing that Mike mentioned, though this isn’t often needed for UK domestic work.

Kewtech Kt63 and newer are good, though you do have to move leads to different sockets for live and dead tests on some models. This eventually annoyed me to the point I sold my KT63.

If buying 2nd hand then get one that has just been calibrated.
There are usually a few Megger 155x and 150x units with calibration on eBay for about £250-£300.
Anything cheaper is a gamble really.

Automatic RCD tests are not so essential these days since the testing requirements have relaxed a little.

Some people like the ability to do 2 wire low current (non trip) loop test. This is not essential. My own view is that while it ticks a box being able to test at a light switch, the actual result can be very inaccurate and I prefer other methods.
If you want that feature you need later models E.g Megger 1721 or 1741.

Avoid Robin, Kyoritsu MFTs as these are now very old, some can’t null test leads, some don’t have 250v IR tests.

Feel free to post things you’ve wondered about buying. It’s a bit of a minefield at first!

I use a megger 1721, I've also used a 1725. I don't particularly like the design of the leads, this is supplied by my company so I have no choice but it's a good bit of test kit..

Going back to the questions….
As already said, you can’t go wrong with Megger 150x or newer or Fluke. For ages they have covered all the bases.
Metrel do a very good budget unit called mi 3125. Unusually for its price point it can do the 3 point earth testing that Mike mentioned, though this isn’t often needed for UK domestic work.

Kewtech Kt63 and newer are good, though you do have to move leads to different sockets for live and dead tests on some models. This eventually annoyed me to the point I sold my KT63.

If buying 2nd hand then get one that has just been calibrated.
There are usually a few Megger 155x and 150x units with calibration on eBay for about £250-£300.
Anything cheaper is a gamble really.

Automatic RCD tests are not so essential these days since the testing requirements have relaxed a little.

Some people like the ability to do 2 wire low current (non trip) loop test. This is not essential. My own view is that while it ticks a box being able to test at a light switch, the actual result can be very inaccurate and I prefer other methods.
If you want that feature you need later models E.g Megger 1721 or 1741.

Avoid Robin, Kyoritsu MFTs as these are now very old, some can’t null test leads, some don’t have 250v IR tests.

Feel free to post things you’ve wondered about buying. It’s a bit of a minefield at first!

Oh thank you for that . What do you think about the one below.

Oh thank you for that . What do you think about the one below.

I’d ask the seller if it has calibration as I don’t see that stated?
I’d be happy using that one all week.
That one has 3 wire non trip loop tests.
The 1721 and 1741 have 2 wire.
(It wouldn’t bother me but some people expect that these days.)

Thanks mate... I'm still On level atm. But I guess my work would be working more in urban areas as I live in a big city... installation, eicrs etc.

If you're still on level 2 ten you shouldn't need to worry about a tester for a while yet, the electrician you are training with should have all the test equipment you need until you are at least fully qualified.

As for EICRs you are a good few years experience away from being able to do that properly.

Reply to Decent multifunctional tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net