Discuss Difficulty With Wall Wart To Charge My Dive Light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I lost this:

I called BajaDesigns, they don't even have a manual for the light, directed me to another site they handed off these types of lights to which required me to purchase a new entire unit, even if I could just purchase the charging plug, they said that would likely not work either, tried a bagful of wall warts, enlisted the help of a "real*" electrician and nothing is working. Unit(s) in question are Stryker Pro and original Stryker.

*I don't know a damn thing about about non-theater electrician type stuff

NOTE: I can't read the text on the pic with 100% accuracy even with my glasses. :(

Attachments

• 1625957271665.png
    642 KB · Views: 23
Does the actual light have a battery rating detail on it.
For mA/Hr and Technology .
(Lithiums -Lions etc are fussy to charge. )
NiMH ..are dated . (age quickly)
Nicad ..antique !
( This is more RC car ,territory than electrician stuff )
If a fast charger .
Or trickle charger if it took 18 Hr !

Does the actual light have a battery rating detail on it.
For mA/Hr and Technology .
(Lithiums -Lions etc are fussy to charge. )
NiMH ..are dated . (age quickly)
Nicad ..antique !
( This is more RC car ,territory than electrician stuff )
If a fast charger .
Or trickle charger if it took 18 Hr !

No rating at all except possibly on the the charger I lost which I can't make out the details with the text on the pictured charger I found. It worked flawlessly until I lost the charger. It's a really great light. Had it for years, holds a charge and lasts many hours until recently.

Last edited:
If it gets too flat ,batteries may not recover hence lazy advice ,
Buy new (they don't want to be responsible of a fire)
How quickly did it take to recharge ?
A clue to if thats a 0.5A or 5A
16.5V ..
If you can find some one into electronics locally , with a variable power supply may get clue of charging volts when it starts drawing current. If 0.5A for 18 hrs ..sounds a bit Nicad
..Could still be Lead acid with some protection circuitry !
Sadly .. I would not know without having one in bits--Then its not sealed ! (unless can find a failed unit)
(But if its sealed and starts to gas .. there is a Goes POP risk too )
Polarity Implies DC (but some markings are not gospel /current limited.

The wall wart looks like a simple DC power supply. It's highly unlikely that there's any charge rate control circuitry built into it, and what there is will be part of the light.
Looking closely at the pic., the current output appears to be 5A (0.5A wouldn't have a zero at the end).
Voltage is 1x.x, and probably 16.5, which would make it a 85W PSU, which is big for a wall wart.

I would say it's 16.8V 1A, which is a very standard wall wart for charging 4-cell series lithium batts (4.2V/cell). Plenty of choices out there for replacements.

However, as you point out above and I agree, 84W (16.8V 5A) is beyond what could reasonably fit in a wall wart of that type and size, and I have never seen one. Plus it would have to be a serious battery pack to merit charging at that rate. If we couldn't read the label we might have a never ending debate about whether it's 1A or 2A, but I really can't see it being 5A.

Thank you everyone for steering me in the right direction to gather quality knowledge with electricity about my silly situation. I truly appreciate it. I'll take another stab at it with all of of your suggestions/ clues as a last ditch effort. However, it now appears I just need to take the hit, let it go, and save up for a new one as close as possible to the light I have.

Last edited:
I fully agree that the pic. does not look like a 85W PSU. At that sort of rating, they have a flying lead and mains plug on the end of it.
Been manipulating the image a bit in a photo program, and agree it could be a '1'.
Buy a 16.5 or 16.8 volt 1A wall wart with the correct output plug and try it. They're not expensive, and you've nothing to lose.

I fully agree that the pic. does not look like a 85W PSU. At that sort of rating, they have a flying lead and mains plug on the end of it.
Been manipulating the image a bit in a photo program, and agree it could be a '1'.
Buy a 16.5 or 16.8 volt 1A wall wart with the correct output plug and try it. They're not expensive, and you've nothing to lose.

Might as well try that. Great suggestion.

For anyone interested with my ridiculous flashlight journey, I found this:

The specs are insane. Even if I manage to get my old old light working again, I may as well enter the modern era as well.

Attachments

• 12B23B27-6DC1-4EBA-B1D5-D976F9F26DB2.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 4

Reply to Difficulty With Wall Wart To Charge My Dive Light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net