Discuss Dimmer switch with discrete circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hazza26

DIY
Reaction score
Is it possible for a single dimmer switch to control two circuits, one which dims and the other which is a discrete on/off? I would like to be able to dim downlights while also switching a non-dimmable bathroom mirror on/off from one switch.
Many thanks

No I don't believe there is anything on the market with a single switch to do this.
Why not do the mod - you can still buy that type of dimmer!

You might be able to employ smart switches and pair them to achieve the required effect. Eg a master switch paired with a dimmer for the light and on/off switch for the mirror.

Last edited:
Ha I'd be up for giving it a crack, but I think my LEDs downlights will need a trailing edge unit to dim nicely..
If you use a 'push on/off' type, or there's a rotary 'off' switch position, there's a good chance you could take feed from the "inward" side of the switch for your mirror.

A more conventional way of tackling this would be to use a dual gang (dimmer + on/off switch) plate, feed live to the switch, use switched live for the mirror and feed to the dimmer, and downlights off the dimmer. That way you click the switch, mirror gets power and lights come on at whatever setting it's on. Simples 🤪

example only: Lieber Silk White Dimmer and Rocker Switch Combo (2 Way Switch & Trailing Dimmer) - https://www.elesi.com/lieber-lighting-white-dimmer-and-rocker-switch-combo-wht-ins-screwless-2-way-switch-250w-trailing-dimmer-4?

If you use a 'push on/off' type, or there's a rotary 'off' switch position, there's a good chance you could take feed from the "inward" side of the switch for your mirror.

A more conventional way of tackling this would be to use a dual gang (dimmer + on/off switch) plate, feed live to the switch, use switched live for the mirror and feed to the dimmer, and downlights off the dimmer. That way you click the switch, mirror gets power and lights come on at whatever setting it's on. Simples 🤪

example only: Lieber Silk White Dimmer and Rocker Switch Combo (2 Way Switch & Trailing Dimmer) - https://www.elesi.com/lieber-lighting-white-dimmer-and-rocker-switch-combo-wht-ins-screwless-2-way-switch-250w-trailing-dimmer-4?
This is brilliant, thank you! Yes the dimmer is push on/off. My sparky told me it wouldn't work but I will pass this on. But would be happy with switch+dimmer if that doesn't work.
How can I tell if option 1 will work?

How can I tell if option 1 will work?
Because the inner technical detail of dimmers, eg circuit diagram, is not normally published info, I think it will be difficult to establish which dimmer is suitable without buying one and taking it apart!

Unless you can find info on the web on which trailing edge dimmers can be hacked, the only way ahead would be to buy one that 'clicks' when you turn it off, take the cover off and check if one of the terminals goes directly to the rotary (or push) switch connections. If it does, solder a wire to the other switch connection (for the mirror) and try it.
If it doesn't, sadly no use for your bathroom. You have an extra dimmer in your spares box.

In it's modified state you would need to make sure your live feed is to the terminal you first identified as going to the switch.

For safety and liability reasons I would strongly recommend option 2!
PS if you are thinking of asking a sparky to do the option 1 modification for you, they won't - for the above reason.

These used to be available 30 years ago, MK and W&G both had a switch output as well as a dimmed one. Any modern dimmer with a physical switch should be moddable, although some might be easier than others

Reply to Dimmer switch with discrete circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net