Discuss Dimming a 2 foot fluorescent tube in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

You could try stalling the customer for a bit, then go back to him in a few weeks and suggest sleeving the tubes or replacing the ballasts with more expensive ones, by which time he'll probably tell you he's got used to the new lights.

All the new generation ballasts I've come across are dimmable 1-100% (obviously 0% is off)

Philips 'Full range continuous dimming (100% light output down to 5% - T5HO to 1%)'

Lutron 'Continuous, flicker-free dimming from 100% to 1% for T5 and less than 1% for T8'

Osram 'Dimming range: 1 to 100 % luminous flux'

don't know why you haven't listened to Sintra's advice to fit a different frekkin tube ???????, cool white for example, is harsh but good for certain environments, try something else, like 'white' tubes or soft white, no need to over complicate.

Changing the lamp type will change colour temp but not nessacerily the lumen output

Right, ....but by changing from a 6500k of more tube, to a warmer light tube of around 3500 to 2700k the light is so much easier on the eye, and is, if only perceivable that much dimmer!!!

Cool white lighting is not my personal cup of tea either, makes everything look cold. But is essential in some situations like hospitals, for better colour perception for the medical staff....

i must admit i didnt know that it was possible to dim a flourescent tube until i took my daughter to the eye department for an appointment at our local hospital the other day!, i was under the assumption that using a dimmer switch would make the tube flicker how wrong i was.

Reply to Dimming a 2 foot fluorescent tube in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net