Discuss Distance learning HNC in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think most people use COLU to distance learn HNC's

Just a word of advice, it can be pretty heavy going (even when being tutored at college) especially maths and science etc

Any advice on HNC's Im glad to help ,completed mine last term but attended college on day release

I have had a look on there website seems quite expensive £180 for each module . Did u find the HNC quite tough ? How long did it take you to complete ?

I have had a look on there website seems quite expensive £180 for each module . Did u find the HNC quite tough ? How long did it take you to complete ?

It depend on how good are you with maths and science, did you study A level at school, because the about the level, it the start of Higher education and professional qualification.

Ideally it should take you to years.

I spent about 6 to 10 working on mathes, science each week on top on attending college on day release 9am to 8pm.

In the second year you given a project to do it suposed to take you 180 to complete, possibly spent double that.

You have to get a number of unit, a lot of the unit i studied were half unit, some where whole unit and I think the project was a double unit, so how long it take will also depend on what unit you decide to study and how much time you dedicate to your studies, for me the certificate was secondary, more important was what I learned, I studied lighting design, contract management, estimating, electrical design, maths level 4 & 5, then 4 science unit, CAD, electronic, general studies, h&S, EaW BS7671 etc.

Yes it was worth all the effort

I would have to do a pre entry maths course first , dont know if i am going to be able to dedicate that much time to it got my first kid due in November might have to leave it on the back burner for a year or two .

Cheers for the info guys

Are you sure you need to do a bridging maths course?

I went from GCSE maths traight to HNC (well with 2360 and stuff imbetween) and got a distinction so cant be that hard, just gotta put the work in thats all

In fact thats a HNC in a nutshell, the work isnt overly difficult but the results you achieve are dependant solely on the effort you put in

My HNC was in Mechatronics so involved robotics and PLC programming and I loved it :)

I did day release at college for two years, if distance learning would have been tougher for sure, If you take it on be prepared for 50 page assignments 3 per unit (ten units in total) and the project/design unit was huge (personally involved learning solidworks, 3d modelling a machine from components, building the machine and testing etc as well as a fifteen minute presentation along with a 200 page technical report)

Are you sure you need to do a bridging maths course?

I went from GCSE maths traight to HNC (well with 2360 and stuff imbetween) and got a distinction so cant be that hard, just gotta put the work in thats all

In fact thats a HNC in a nutshell, the work isnt overly difficult but the results you achieve are dependant solely on the effort you put in

My HNC was in Mechatronics so involved robotics and PLC programming and I loved it :)

I did day release at college for two years, if distance learning would have been tougher for sure, If you take it on be prepared for 50 page assignments 3 per unit (ten units in total) and the project/design unit was huge (personally involved learning solidworks, 3d modelling a machine from components, building the machine and testing etc as well as a fifteen minute presentation along with a 200 page technical report)

It seems to depend when you did your GCSE, did you do exam to get your grade or was it via continuel assesment and portfolio, also some HNC have more maths then others, mine was in electrical engineering and when i started my first year Hons in Electrical Engineering at Staffordshire University most of the maths was the same level that i studied at HNC level.

Yes I fully agree with you if you put the work in, you will get a good grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think when it comes to maths once you grasp the principles its just a matter of learning new rules and processes, it all depends on how quick you get your eureka moment luckily for me it was quite early on but many on the course were still struggling at the very end.

To be honest I did the course for the other units I really had very little interest in maths, science and plant and process principles but PPP was in fact one of my favourites :)

I managed ten distinctions which doesnt reflect my interlect more my hard work, many could have done the same in my group but were too lazy...they gained a HNC though and put in a fifth of the work i did so whos the fool lol;)

I think when it comes to maths once you grasp the principles its just a matter of learning new rules and processes, it all depends on how quick you get your eureka moment luckily for me it was quite early on but many on the course were still struggling at the very end.

To be honest I did the course for the other units I really had very little interest in maths, science and plant and process principles but PPP was in fact one of my favourites :)

I managed ten distinctions which doesnt reflect my interlect more my hard work, many could have done the same in my group but were too lazy...they gained a HNC though and put in a fifth of the work i did so whos the fool lol;)

I believe you have a better understanding of your subjects then those how did not put the effort in and my motto is knowledge without understanding is worthless, and I do not believe all your effort are differently not worthless and if you decide to study for hons degree in your subject all your previous study will be of great use.

Finally some people near reach that Euroka moment.

Thankyou...although further studies unfortunately are not an option for the foreseeable future although it is a goal of mine to achieve my degree

Did you achieve yours through full time study?

Thankyou...although further studies unfortunately are not an option for the foreseeable future although it is a goal of mine to achieve my degree

Did you achieve yours through full time study?

Yes being single and confident that being an aprentice trained approved electrician, going to university would benefit me, started at 30 year young when I started, it was a brilliant experience, especially asess to very educated experts in my field, learned massive amount.

I obtained 2.1 Hons in electrical engineering, every summer I earned sufficient money working every hour as a commerical electrician to live on for the rest of the year.

I know if you have a family etc is a lot harder, but we only pass this way once, personelly I left school with no qualification and reading age in single figures, spelling still suspect, been making up for it ever since.

which looks better to me as an employer? HNC....or....HNC..(D), any supervisor/emoployer will see this,
dont sell youself short.

Hi Danny,

You should check out Logis-Tech Associates for distance learning HNC courses in Electrical Engineering, 0141 423 6911

Reply to Distance learning HNC in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net