Discuss Distance to boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

im sorry ask such a stupid question but I seem to be having a moment as I can't think straight today but what's the safe distances you can put accessories near a boiler?

Thanks in advance

512.2.1 equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation shall take account of the conditions likely to be encountered.

528.3 proximity to non-electrical services

BS 6891 installation of low pressure pipework in domestic premises, clause 8.16.2

Where gas installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material from electrical equipment, including cables, they are to be spaced as follows:

1. At least 150 mm away from electrical equipment.
  2. At least 25 mm away from electricity cable.

Last but not least the manufactures instructions should be taken in to account for both the boiler and accessory you wish to install. For example if installing a wireless receiver for a room thermostat next to the boiler the manufacturers instructions of the receiver will normally specify a minimum distance because of interference etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response

the boiler is in the kitchen and the client wants a double socket right next to it which I have informed them that you cannot, but someone has installed the SFS right next to the case.

From the case or from the pipework?

I agree with 150mm from pipework (if possible, but definitely from gas)
I would be willing to put it a bit closer to the case if I REALLY had to.

I have seen many a boiler where the plumbers have modified bits so that their pipework covers accessories etc.

I agree 150mm as good practice and belt and braces for your own back, but just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, what about the flex entry to the boiler, how any installations do you see where the 25mm rule from the gas supply is ignored or almost impossible to avoid...

Reply to Distance to boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net