Discuss Do I need a qualification? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hpprint

Hello Everyone,

Here is the deal, I am a professional sign fitter and usually use an electrical contractor. However, my usual contractor is now retiring and i have been quoted nearly double what i was paying.

So here is my question... do i need qualifications to wire up outdoor lighting...strip lights, light boxes, goose neck lights etc...?

If so where can i get this done? Can i get a grant/free course?

Thanks Guys/Gals

Yeah just lash them in, this electrical nonsense is easy any idiot can do it!

Buy a roll of 1mm cable and some 45Amp MCBs and you will be able to wire loads of lights and they will never trip out.

I know this and do know what i am doing. I am a very high end business and offer premium service at premium rates. So therefore need to know legalities.
So you'll know all about things going wrong and insurers refusing to pay because of incompetent people installing things then.
If you're that high end and offer things at a premium rate then get another spark, there's boatloads on here. One of us will be near you and will be happy to quote on your requirements.

Hello all.
My first time on the sign fitters forum.
Im an electrician but my underpaid sign fitter is retiring and I now have to pay correct prices.
Is there a quick course so I can just fit signs. It cant be that hard. Its just ive a high end business but pay low end wages!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Folically challanged sparkie

So here is my question... do i need qualifications to wire up outdoor lighting...strip lights, light boxes, goose neck lights etc...?
The law say you need to be competent. To prove competency is the problem.

If so where can i get this done? Can i get a grant/free course?
Haven't heard of free courses, I think you'll end up paying a couple of thousand by the time you can legally and safely install your own circuits. There's probably other expenses such as building control notification fees or scheme provider fees, insurance etc. I'm sure one of the other members will elaborate.

Yeah just lash them in, this electrical nonsense is easy any idiot can do it!

Buy a roll of 1mm cable and some 45Amp MCBs and you will be able to wire loads of lights and they will never trip out.

Responses like yours have no purpose on this forum. If you can't respond constructively then don't bother.

This is an electricians forum mate, so firstly you don't belong on here and secondly I am entitled to my opinion and mine was mildly sarcastic take the joke

Maybe you should get a couple more to quote, but I warn you, as I'm sure that you will already know, that no 2 jobs are the same, so prices will vary from job to job

I think your signs will be the best in the country mate the supply cables will be glowing the connections sparking, so the customers will see the smoke from miles away

This is an electricians forum mate, so firstly you don't belong on here and secondly I am entitled to my opinion and mine was mildly sarcastic take the joke
Ridiculing, belittling or insulting posts aren't allowed. If you dont like the thread then walk away. Take Sintra's warning or you'll end up with a ban.

Does anyone actually have the answers that i ned? I kow what i am doing my dad was a parky amd grandad and have worked with them on many of jobs however... Regs have changed and need to know if i need by law an official qualification. If so where do i go? And is there free courses

In the climate we're in free courses are extremely unlikely, especially since you're in "a high end" business. You obviously have income so that's the kybosh put on that.
It's unlikely that you'll pick up enough knowledge from a short course to enable you to do what you propose.

As Marvo has said the legal requirement is to be competent. This can be through years of experience that you can demonstrate in court or it could be by having the appropriate qualifications (and the experience to use those qualifications effectively).

This website gives you information on the courses needed to work as an electrician, which is what you want to do, and may help.

The chance of free courses is negligible, unless you are unemployed or under 18.

Does anyone actually have the answers that i ned? I kow what i am doing my dad was a parky amd grandad and have worked with them on many of jobs however... Regs have changed and need to know if i need by law an official qualification. If so where do i go? And is there free courses

What's picking up litter and making sure no-one plays ball games on the grass got to do with it ?

As already stated, you don't need a qualification, just to be competent. But if the brown stuff hits the rotating thing, you need to be able to prove competence. Also your insurers view on you carrying out electrical work has to be considered.

No free courses, I couldn't get anything even when on jobseekers so I doubt they will throw money at the already employed in a high end business.

Sidewinder

I remember using this forum last year as a guest only but never signed up there was a guy on there called sidewinder who was the oracle,
Is he still about ppl ???

Reply to Do I need a qualification? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net