Discuss Do I need an extractor fan in this bathroom? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all...

I have been asked if I need to fit an extractor fan in a small bathroom which has a window, which opens widely (cutomer would rather not have one if possible). It currently just has a toilet in it and a shower is about to be fitted.

I have read many of the threads on this subject but there seems to be a lot of different advice.

1. It seems it has to meet Part F and have a continuous extraction rate of 8L/S and intermittant of 15L/S, how would I judge if the window is acceptable?

2. Also if a new build or converting an existing room into a bathroom you would HAVE to have one, this room has a toilet and sink in it and nothing else so perhaps it is already classed as a bathroom??

Its just the 2 points above on I'm a bit stuck with??

Any advice greatly accepted :smiley2:

Last edited:
Unless the customer was expecting one in the price he was quoted and a fan wasn't installed!

Insufficient info supplied to determine that, may have been the same problem with the customer as well assuming it would be done.

However, an opening window cannot be classed as continuous ventillation.

It's a toilet producing smells or sink or bath or shower capable of producing water vapour that causes the need for permanent ventillation.

Last edited:
if there wasn't a fan before trhen you don't need to fit one. assuming it's not a new build. i spoke to BC last week regarding a shower room with a toilet in t. their exact words were " it's only the shower that must have a fan to extract moisture". they couldn't care less a bout the bog.

if there wasn't a fan before trhen you don't need to fit one. assuming it's not a new build. i spoke to BC last week regarding a shower room with a toilet in t. their exact words were " it's only the shower that must have a fan to extract moisture". they couldn't care less a bout the bog.

Thanks Tel,

At present it just has a toilet, they are now going to fit a shower?

if it's no bath and no shower, no need for fan. opening window gets rid of methane as and when needed.

Reply to Do I need an extractor fan in this bathroom? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net