Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well I've been waiting for the last few hours to see if anyone else was going to comment, but I'd like to know the answers, so here's my list.
  • Different live conductors through different openings raising the possible issue of ferromagnetic effects
  • Excess exposed conductor on crimps
  • Bad earth to the box (looks bad - would have been much better with a ring terminal crimp)
  • Conductor identification on the cables from the left is dubious at best and particularly poor as they've used blue inner sheath for a line conductor, they could have made this much better using some coloured heat shrink on the crimp bodies (which would also have mitigated their inability to cut cable to the correct length for the crimp)
  • No fixings in the box other than the screws in the keyhole slots from what I can see, so it could be lifted off those
  • Insufficient thought given to protecting the cables from mechanical damage where they enter the box
Not sure about the earth as there appears to be a junction which is in shadow, but at the very least that doesn't appear to be adequately supported, neither does the cable, and I'd say it should have a BS951 label on/near the junction.

If I could isolate it, I'd be inclined to give all of those crimps a tug make sure they are crimped properly and securely fastened to the studs, but as it's live with no visible means of isolation I'd be a bit reluctant (with or without appropriate PPE).

I don't like tails in the metal glands much either, some marks on LHS already, and IP not special. And someone's nicked the cover :)

Seems to be a lot of dodgy installs down your way Freddo. My sister lives down that way and often mentions I should come down and expand my business some :D

Stick that up your earth electrode! (or should that be down?)

The madness today (sorry for poor pic quality):

View attachment 35724

Hmm looking at that raggedy edge around the soffit vent it could be asbestos, so rather than drill a new hole there could be sense in that. I'd have cut a cable sized piece out of the vent [neatly] and put it back in place though. :)

I'm not going to say much about this as thinking about it is making my blood boil. Basically this system was working fine, a but dated, but fully functional. Recently the old fire panel was been changed and alterations made to detector circuits, the new panel does not have a fire output relay (it looks like the manufacturers forgot to fit the fire and fault relays in the PCB!) so various door releases etc. don't operate. The altered zone wiring has faults on it, apparently the company came to look at the faults several times before correcting the problems. By correcting I mean moving the EOL devices to the panel.:mad:

I can't put into words how appalled and disgusted I am that a company has charged for this work. We haven't ventured past the panel yet, but a full inspection is booked at the start of next week. This is the second system that we know of that this company has tampered with, they fu*ck*ed that one right up as well, requiring major remedial works to clear the S/C and O/C zone faults as well as many other issues.

View attachment 35809

An easy mistake without testing perhaps?
Job to add power shower to 2nd bathroom yesterday. Full bathroom refurb so just first fix, but nothing else on so I thought I'd poke about. Board is plastic twin RCD all good numbers TNCS, I look at existing power shower and see it's been connected with flex to plug (wrong fuse) into a single outlet RCD socket (in another room). Plug in trusty tester ... no eflc reading or RCD test. Oops, busted my tester ? Take RCD outlet off wall and find the cpc neatly connected to the mounting screws but not the earth pin. Def no earth carried forward in flex to the power shower.

View attachment 35886

I don't get it... why would you do that? Would be interesting to see the installation instructions to see what they recommend, may shed some light on the thinking, but I re-iterate... I just don't get it.

Now that just seems like a terribly bad design. Why on earth would they want to keep them separate.
Agree, gave me a moment when I thought tester had died ...
Here's a pic from different angle. From the side it's clearly NC, but from the back, not quite so. The unit is pristine and works fine, tested in the bat cave this morning :)

View attachment 35887

Last edited:
I see it is even labelled as SE. Have you still got the instructions that came with it?

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock