Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What would you use?
If it is not inverter driven than CY or it’s equivalent polyurethane coated version.
for a stationary motor, singles in conduit would be fine (tri rated)

edit, I did not mean CY, I meant YY. Oops, CY is screened similar to Sy and not required unless there is an emc issue.

Last edited:
If it is not inverter driven than CY or it’s equivalent polyurethane coated version.
for a stationary motor, singles in conduit would be fine (tri rated)

edit, I did not mean CY, I meant YY. Oops, CY is screened similar to Sy and not required unless there is an emc issue.

That’s my point. You did not know the application so unsure why you stated it was not fit for purpose.

What would you use?
One that is recognised by British standards

SY, CY and YY cables are not manufactured to a specific British, European or international standard so in most cases it is not possible to demonstrate the performance safety standards required to satisfy the Wiring Regulations.

I would say 90% of times I have come across braided style cables they have not been installed using the correct glands.
Near every time they have been installed like the picture using a stuffing galnd Or no gland at all

One that is recognised by British standards

SY, CY and YY cables are not manufactured to a specific British, European or international standard so in most cases it is not possible to demonstrate the performance safety standards required to satisfy the Wiring Regulations.

Again, you are making the assumption that it was used in a fixed installation. 7671 does not apply here.

2 responses of complete rubbish here…

Surprised by this TBH.

I would say 90% of times I have come across braided style cables they have not been installed using the correct glands.
Is there a 'correct' gland for this stuff? I've never installed any of it, but have performed maintenance and repair on installations using it, and the only glands I've come across are standard stuffing ones.

as an example

as an example
For EMC compliance, the braid needs (should) be taken back to the source (drive)

So I’m calling out -------- again unless these are intended to terminate onto the gland plate of the drive (which most don’t have).

Also these use pigtails, also VERY poor for EMC compliance.

Sorry…

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back