Discuss Dodgy wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shouldn't take too long. It looks like someone has taken a live and neutral from the switch, as there was no neutral there they used the cpc of the switch wire. Disconnect the live and neutral coming away from the switch, not the 3 core or the switch wire, and see what doesn't work. Should tell you what's happened.

Well going by your drawing it's 3plate and if it's been wired like that at every ceiling position, the interconnection will be at every point? you have trouble, you need to drop every rose and look. It can't be left.
It's not like that at every point. The first one in the toilet is fine, the second in the hall just has stranded 3 core flex coming out of a hole then there's this one in the living room, then a dining room and kitchen which are both wired standard 3 plate so this is the only one I have issues with.

came across something like this some years ago. what had happened was that an outside light had been wired from the hall light switch and the guy who did it realised there was no N at the switch so he used the cpc of the switch drop, connected it to N in the rose to get a N at the switch.

Id start by drawing a proper wiring diagram going from light to light and then work out what's going where. If you can narrow down which is the feed from the previous rose and which is the feed to the rose it means you only have to figure out what's going on between the rose in question and the switch.

Thay being said, if all cieling roses are like this one you have your work cut out

Reply to Dodgy wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Hi, have an old bathroom fan. Which has two wires the black and red (line and neutral). The fan has no isolator switch and was powered when the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to install a new bathroom extractor fan in my bathroom as I have a windowless bathroom and the current one I have installed in...
Replies
Views
Hi all was having a problem with lights work one min not next took ceiling rose cover off to find a stray black wire only terminal free is the...
Replies
Views
So was on a call out today and cooker circuit kept tripping the RCD. Disconnected at the board and at the cooker switch and IR’d the cable and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock