Discuss Does this main isolator switch require a separate enclosure ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul N

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Thank you in advance for your assistance, I"m assuming that having an unenclosed main switch is against the rules ?
Should it be sited within the same Consumer Unit or a separate enclosure ? The Consumer Unit, meter and main switch are housed within a wooden formica cupboard (2nd photograph).
Many thanks for your advice re any necessary changes that need to be commissioned.
Regards, Paul

Attachments

• MSoutside.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Wooden cupboard.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 64
OMG!

just noticed. Didn’t see it at first the consumer unit has no main switch. That’s hilarious.

yes you are quite right. It’s against the rules.

at first I didn’t understand what you where going on about.

I think @Pete999 and @Timbo missed that.
Hi Pete,

Thank you for your advice - this may sound like a daft question but do you think the main switch needs to be within a new consumer unit along with the RCDs and MCBs or would a separate enclosure just for the main switch be acceptable?
Many thanks,
Paul

Do ARC electrical still exist?

im struggling to think of a regulation that has been broken here TBH. I suppose it does have a means of isolation, but......

..... don’t like it.
Just to be clear although the ARC sticker is on the box I don't think ARC did the wiring, I think somebody else has re-used an old CU !!!

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your advice - this may sound like a daft question but do you think the main switch needs to be within a new consumer unit along with the RCDs and MCBs or would a separate enclosure just for the main switch be acceptable?
Many thanks,
Paul
My second post contradicts the first. On reflection I can’t see a problem with this.

my first post was a reflex reply without thinking as I feel it’s just so stupid to do it, but I come across stupid stuff every day. This does not mean it’s unsafe.

you say someone may have re used an old board, if so when and who did this?

is this your home or a rental?

I think you need to get an EICR done on the whole installation. That should identify any issues that need addressing.

OMG!

just noticed. Didn’t see it at first the consumer unit has no main switch. That’s hilarious.

yes you are quite right. It’s against the rules.

at first I didn’t understand what you where going on about.

I think @Pete999 and @Timbo missed that.
I never missed I was the one that pointed it out.

My second post contradicts the first. On reflection I can’t see a problem with this.

my first post was a reflex reply without thinking as I feel it’s just so stupid to do it, but I come across stupid stuff every day. This does not mean it’s unsafe.

I think you need to get an EICR done on the whole installation. That should identify any issues that need addressing.

Hi Pete,

I'm very grateful for your advice - I am an absolute no nothing !! I've just bought it and I've been told that the previous tenant did a lot of electrical work on the property but no-one seems to think he was an electrician !!!! I've never seen a main switch sitting outside a CU and so immediately thought it might be considered unsafe with people poking their hands into the cupboard etc. I'll get an EICR done.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Paul

Hi Pete,

I'm very grateful for your advice - I am an absolute no nothing !! I've just bought it and I've been told that the previous tenant did a lot of electrical work on the property but no-one seems to think he was an electrician !!!! I've never seen a main switch sitting outside a CU and so immediately thought it might be considered unsafe with people poking their hands into the cupboard etc. I'll get an EICR done.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Paul
To be fair Paul I’ve never seen that also, which is why I immediately though it must be against regs. Still don’t like it, but can’t think of any reason safety wise it needs to be in the one board.

Hi Everyone,
Thank you in advance for your assistance, I"m assuming that having an unenclosed main switch is against the rules ?
Should it be sited within the same Consumer Unit or a separate enclosure ? The Consumer Unit, meter and main switch are housed within a wooden formica cupboard (2nd photograph).
Many thanks for your advice re any necessary changes that need to be commissioned.
Regards, Paul
That is the DNO isolator switch look at label fitted by Morrison data meter installer

Reply to Does this main isolator switch require a separate enclosure ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net