Currently reading:
Does this main isolator switch require a separate enclosure ?

Discuss Does this main isolator switch require a separate enclosure ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul N

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Thank you in advance for your assistance, I"m assuming that having an unenclosed main switch is against the rules ?
Should it be sited within the same Consumer Unit or a separate enclosure ? The Consumer Unit, meter and main switch are housed within a wooden formica cupboard (2nd photograph).
Many thanks for your advice re any necessary changes that need to be commissioned.
Regards, Paul

Attachments

• MSoutside.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Wooden cupboard.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 74
"So you're saying... if a DNO isolator has been fitted, the CU main switch can be removed by doctoring?"

I don't think I said any such thing to be honest mate ! I said put a lock on the cupboard meaning if he was concerned from a safety point of view that it would keep little prying fingers and inquistive minds out !
So hopefully that answers your point as well Pete999

And "No" it isnt something that I would personally do myself but I have seen a hell of a lot worse and yes i know that doesnt make any better !

As westward 10 said, the consumer unit has been adapted and so would be a departure from BS7671. As such, there should be a note on the EIC to record the departure, and a risk assessment attached, showing that the departure is no less safe than it would be without the adaptation.

I doubt such documents exist, and in the absence of such, I would suggest that the adaptation should be reversed.

The consumer unit has been "adapted". The left rcd switch would have been an en60947-3 switch which isolated the whole board. This has been replaced by an rcd so who knows whether this rcd still isolates the lot.
Dear Westward,
Thank you for your solid advice and helpful comments. As usual you are the voice of reason !!!
Thank you very much.
Paul

Reply to Does this main isolator switch require a separate enclosure ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back