Discuss Domain name taken but not in use in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy91

-
Reaction score
I am trying to set up a website and email for my company butthe domain name has been taken. I have found that the company using it is called something completely different and the website is not in use. Does anyone know if there is someone I can contact to see if I can have the domain or will I just have to change the name for the website like shortening the word electrical to elec?
Thanks in advance

Do a whois on the website and email the owner, they may give / sell it to you

If your mega keen, perhaps a .uk or .co.uk etc would be an alterative

if its a uk domain i think you can go via nominet to take it down if you can show good reason and take over the name. ie if its a version of your company name and they have no valid use. an example was somebody registered xbox.com or something microsoft went to court and took control of the domain name.
it doesnt need to cost too much as i suspect the company would not want to pay a load of legal fees to contest your claim.
UK Domain Dispute Resolution Service - https://www.nominet.uk/domains/resolving-uk-domain-disputes-and-complaints/

That's what I was thinking like using elec instead of electrical. I was just wandering if there an easy enough way to get it as Its not in use. I've emailed the company who have the domain. Problem is when you put the domain I want in it goes straight to a different website which also isn't being used but has emails on it the page. But might not be trading.

If they have bought the domain name that is their property... Unless you can actually prove 'cybersquatting' on Intellectual Property (IP) that you already have - i.e. an established brand it's a case of if you want it you have to buy it! - And be wary of buying something 'close'; if it later emerges this is a 'brand' they have under development - or have had in use - you could find yourself with a "passing off" action on your hands!

Might sound a simple suggestion but does a hyphen help somewhere in the domain name? You are aware that a domain name has no legal connection to a business in the UK. The only circumstances that Nominet (UK domain registrars) are interested in is domain squatting. I.e someone deliberately buys a name that they have no legitimate use for and then they try to sell it to you at an overly inflated price

Might sound a simple suggestion but does a hyphen help somewhere in the domain name? You are aware that a domain name has no legal connection to a business in the UK. The only circumstances that Nominet (UK domain registrars) are interested in is domain squatting. I.e someone deliberately buys a name that they have no legitimate use for and then they try to sell it to you at an overly inflated price

You have half a point in that Nominet won't be particularly helpful/interested in the actual initial act of passing off; it's not them you have to worry about, but action taken via the courts. - In marketing terms it's also both lame and shoddy to be too close to someone else's trading style.

Reply to Domain name taken but not in use in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net