Discuss Domestic extractor fan problem/question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kate

hey,

Hoping someone may know more on this than I do. Extractor fan above a shower in an en-suite, in-line fan so unit is up in the loft.
I know you can get condensation and "dripping" from the unit. How bad can this get?

Had a customer ask me to look at why their fan had stopped working. It was only 2 or 3 months old. Jumped up in the loft, removed the duct, could have easily filled up 2 buckets with the amount of water that came out. Travelled from the roof tile, right through the duct (had a drop point here) through the fan unit itself, into the duct on the other side. There was another drop point here which had stopped it from entering back into the shower room!

I may be completely wrong, and tell me if I am. But to me, that's far too much water for condensation surely? I was thinking faulty roof tile as this was existing and many many years old.

IMG_5925.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

Hum.... We had a small problem and I cured this by putting some loft insulation over the ducting....

IS that a "cheap" low powered fan? We have high pressure units if thats any help.

If the run is long could you raise the fan at all?

Those fans are weedy as you can get, you need something like a manrose mixed flow ...
An insulated duct can also help as Murdoch says, you can buy preinsulated double skin stuff.
also make sure there are no dips and wells where moisture can collect.

I can change it up in the loft to fix the issue, just trying to find out if could be condensation, or a faulty roof tile?
Just seemed a lot of condensation if it is?

Had a lot of problems with condensation until a while back we changed installation practice. I remember one that filled half a bucket just months after being installed.
To prevent install the fan as close as possible to the internal ceiling vent, that prevents water in the duct being sucked into the fan. The long duct should be on the outlet side of the fan. Raise the fan up so that there is a fall on both ducts. Stretch flexi duct taught so that there are no sags to collect water, the weight of which will increase the sag and the water collection. Insulate exposed duct in the roof space.

Despite the above precautions I have still known water to collect and have now completely abandoned flexi duct in favour of solid for the main run but still adhering to the above principles. If you explain the problems with flexi to customers they are usually prepared to pay the small amount extra for a solid duct.

I instantly thought condensation but I was surprised by the sheer amount of water!! Wanted to ask advice before I report back to the customer.
Ducting that's in place is disgusting so I'm picking some up in the am

Is there sufficient airflow under the door of the bathroom?

I normally provide an estimate - option A is a like for like , option B is for a far better unit - most people opt for option B

Is there sufficient airflow under the door of the bathroom?

I normally provide an estimate - option A is a like for like , option B is for a far better unit - most people opt for option B
This wasn't my job, i didn't install the original fan. Was just asked to look at it when it stopped

Original was a manrose one, have the details in the truck. Not sure which model but had some scathing reviews on amazon

There are Manrose and there are Manrose. The one in my link is ten times the unit of the one in your picture. Those are piddly little ones not really suited for purpose.

This is a very common issue, when the ducting isn't taut you can get a heck of a lot of water building up in it, and the muck that builds up is horrible, particularly with people who use talc it seems.

Reply to Domestic extractor fan problem/question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net