Discuss Down light covers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

goals

-
Reaction score
Installing some fire rated downlighters in upstairs bathroom (out of zone) and was wondering if they could be boxed in with plywood to keep the insulation in the roof space of themof them...

as long as there's a decent space around them and the top of the box is open to allow heat dissipation, should be OK. if in doubt, fit LEDs.

As Tel said. Also refer to the manufacturers instructions as they sometimes give minimum dimensions of clearance around the fitting.

I have used 100mm waste pipe cut into sections to shield fire rated down lights from being covered with insulation as it allows any heat to rise as one end is open.

i though the insulation was not meant to be broken, i was thinking on the lines of 150 mm (same depth as the first layer of insulation) box with no top on then the second cross layer of insulation would just sit on top, not got the lights yet so will look at manufactures instructions before making final decision

I have not here'd of the insulation not to be broken (out of interest where do you get that from.) In the electricians guide to the building regs it simply says in 10.6.5 THEMAL INSULATION. Luminaries must not be covered with thermal insulation unless suitable.

Would standard fire hoods just be easier, a lot cheaper than they use to be

It's not about the fire protection as they are fire rated fittings. It's about over heating from the insulation that covers the fitting. You should not cover a fitting with insulation even if it has a hood on as you need air to circulate to allow the heat produced to escape.

If you're going to make a heat barrier do you think wood is the best material???

I suppose you could soak it in petrol first to try and make it more fire retardant???

i have stated that they will be fire rated and the main purpose of the question was more a way of keeping the insulation away from the down lights or is the insulation more fire retardant than timber and as someone said earlier just cut the insulation back to the manufacturers recommendations

Even LED need an air gap to cool but they don't get as warm as halogen. You should check the manufactures instructions as you could void the warranty on them.

We came close to a fire in our house, I was lucky to hear the fizzing around midnight.
50W gu10 (mains) halogen MR16 spots inserted into the plasterboard ceiling, with barely 120mm cavity above to the real roof (with fibre glass)
On inspection all the wires (and sheaths) were "crispy" and blackened

Is it the case that leds will be OK (which is what we prefer) or do I need to convert to a surface fitting?

Thanks

i have stated that they will be fire rated and the main purpose of the question was more a way of keeping the insulation away from the down lights or is the insulation more fire retardant than timber and as someone said earlier just cut the insulation back to the manufacturers recommendations

Do you know what ''Fire Rated'' actually means when applied to downlighters?? Because going by your posts i don't think you do!!

There is always the Bill and Ben solution
icon7.png

We came close to a fire in our house, I was lucky to hear the fizzing around midnight.
50W gu10 (mains) halogen MR16 spots inserted into the plasterboard ceiling, with barely 120mm cavity above to the real roof (with fibre glass)
On inspection all the wires (and sheaths) were "crispy" and blackened

Is it the case that leds will be OK (which is what we prefer) or do I need to convert to a surface fitting?

Thanks

Some, and I stress some LED fittings, can be covered completely.

Reply to Down light covers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net