Discuss down stairs light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

maxxryno

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, grandparents house circa 1920's build, the way the house is wired means there is a light downstairs where you can switch it off with the switch downstairs, the same switch also controls the upstairs light in the middle of the landing, the problem is when going to bed as the downstairs light cant be switched off from the upstairs and is needed to light the stairs- is there a way to put in an extra switch to cut off the downstairs light when upstairs? L2 -electrical engineer - but cant do the work myself. I would like to know (roughly) what work would need to be done and a ballpark price for doing it? Is there a simple thing I am overlooking to be able to achieve this?

Last edited:
The simplest way with least invasive work to the house would be to look at Quinetic wireless switches - they are truly the best thing since sliced bread. The switches require no power or battery, they use kinetic energy of pressing the switch to send a radio signal.

One of the two current fittings would need a dual wireless receiver.
Then you can put as many switches anywhere you like for either of them.
(Hopefully not still 1920's wiring...!)

The simplest way with least invasive work to the house would be to look at Quinetic wireless switches - they are truly the best thing since sliced bread. The switches require no power or battery, they use kinetic energy of pressing the switch to send a radio signal.

One of the two current fittings would need a dual wireless receiver.
Then you can put as many switches anywhere you like for either of them.
(Hopefully not still 1920's wiring...!)
thanks that was exactly what I was thinking what is the part called exactly ? and is it consumer friendly fitting or do we need a qualified electrician?

Quinetc wireless receiver and switch is what you need. Whether Whether are cinsuner friendly depends on your knowledge I suppose. The instructions that come wiyh it are very clear, but if in any doubt consult a qualified spark.

As Mike said, The part is "Quinetic Wireless Switch Dual Receiver" There is a wide choice of switch modules.
The receiver needs to go at whichever of the two fittings has the most wires!

It is a job that is conceptually simple, the module has a power supply input and two switched live outputs, the neutrals and earths need joining.
The complexity comes in because there will probably be a lot of cables at one of the fittings - the permanent live feed, probably another looped out to the next light in another room, the switch cable, and a cable going off to the other light you mentioned. So you need to be able to safely identify them. These all need dealing with in a double insulated safe way so I wouldn't be that surprised if a maintenance free junction box wasn't needed too.
It might be simple, stacks of space and is done in 30 minutes. Or you might find a lath and plaster ceiling, a joist in the wrong place, and a confusing array of cables.
I'd say if you can fit a normal ceiling rose with one switch you could do this, if that helps. Most important is to stay alive so any doubts, stop, and consult a qualified sparks.

thanks that was exactly what I was thinking what is the part called exactly ? and is it consumer friendly fitting or do we need a qualified electrician?
1621610044118.png

here is the rough layout I think the symbols are correct what I would like wireless switch two (2) to do is to turn both lights on when grandma walks from the main room downstairs (doorframe) to the stairs and when she gets upstairs for wireless switch one (1) to be able to turn both lights off and on when needed. not sure on the exact wiring circuits for the house.

Hour job for an electrician using the Quinetic system if all goes according to plan and a permanent live is available where the receiver needs to be positioned, the only problem could be getting a cable from the receiver too one of the remote lights if its not routed through the same rose. Where is Grandma's house, may have a Forum member near.

Hour job for an electrician using the Quinetic system if all goes according to plan and a permanent live is available where the receiver needs to be positioned, the only problem could be getting a cable from the receiver too one of the remote lights if its not routed through the same rose. Where is Grandma's house, may have a Forum member near.
warrington area

Reply to down stairs light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net