Discuss Drain holes in Weatherproof Accessories? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

....drilling a drain hole or complete compound filling is the only answer.....I'm pretty sure that the manufactures enclosed instructions with all these IP rated accessories or boxes/enclosures recommend drain holes being provided in circumstances of high probability of condensation levels...
I think we're just going to differ in opinion on this one. If manufacturers recommend a drain hole (I haven't come across any recommendations like this) I'm sure they'd put on in or at least provide a knock-out option for one in the casting or moulding. I also can't help thinking a drain hole would accelerate corrosion by allowing a constant supply of oxygen into the box. If the box wasn't compromised by a hole drilled then no fresh air = very little corrosion
I have seen some watertight seals which act as a drain as well, Car ECUs use them mainly. They are a water tight gromit which sits where you want the drain to be, and they stop water from coming in, but they let water out........

untitled1.jpgThese devices (duck bill valves) would make sense to me in an enclosure, at least the original IP integrity might be maintained or at worst it would solve the insect problem.Hmmmmm, maybe a business opportunity for some budding entrepreneur there??? Come up with one that can be fitted into a standard IP 66 20mm gland by removing the compression seal. When you make your millions you can just throw 1% royalties my way. :)

**Edit**
I see there's very similar products already available.
plug.jpg

Last edited:
Marvo,

The manufacturers DO mark the positions for drain hole in there IP boxes etc!! They do work too, for these enclosures that are subject to large temperature changes, such as cold nights and hot days...

I've no idea what the conditions are in SA, but for example the Middle East can be very prone to condensation in what are virtually sealed enclosures. Nothing to stop you using these product that allow moisture build-up to freely escape though. Perhaps they could/should incorporate these things in the accessories they normally provide with outlets and switches etc...

Nicholas Owen Wrote "They have like 2 little lips (best way to explain them) which in their normal position they are tight shut, but when water from inside the enclosure touches them it lets it drip out slowly at the same time as keeping a water tight seal".

This design is also used extensively for HVAC condensate drains - Known in the automotive industry as "Donkeys Dick Drains" - True!!

Hi

You should be using IP rated washers with your glands. That should stop water ingrese by way of the glands.

As for drilling the drain hole I would alway drill one unless theirs a chance the enclosure could be sub merged in water.

The only problem with these Donkeys Dick Drains is that they need cleaning every 9 months or so, as you get dirt and stale water glue them together - all they need is to be squeezed on both sides using your figures and pull down - not to hard that you pull them out. - lol

They usually fit on pipe outlets, to allow them to work properly

I cant seem to find them anywhere though to buy them???

Might have to go to a scrap yard and pinch a few - lol

Thanks Guys
This has been a fascinating thread. Wee beasties versus water/condensation problems.
I think the holes win!
FYI, BG and LAP recommend the holes. Others have drain hole locations but no guidance, others have no holes marked at all and no guidance.
Cheers
Pete

Thanks Guys
This has been a fascinating thread. Wee beasties versus water/condensation problems.
I think the holes win!
FYI, BG and LAP recommend the holes. Others have drain hole locations but no guidance, others have no holes marked at all and no guidance.
Cheers
Pete

Aye, beasties every time. Water is everyone's enemy, apart from plasterers.
We'll all be b@ggered when the beasties get a taste for PVC though.

On the MK Masterseal range, which is really good quality, they supply a diagram showing the drill point location on enclosure for a drain hole.

On the MK Masterseal range, which is really good quality, they supply a diagram showing the drill point location on enclosure for a drain hole.

What IP rating are they? Do they warn you that drilling a hole might reduce the IP rating?

Yes, drill. Definately stops moisture, as far as creepy-crawlys go I have only known them to be an issue once in 18 years. Fried ants in a Sodium Light, might have made a nice appetiser for a bushman.

The only times I haven't made a drain hole is near to a wash down area.

What IP rating are they? Do they warn you that drilling a hole might reduce the IP rating?

As i've stated before, drilling a 3 or 4mm hole in a sealed enclosure is better than the accessory being subject to continuous condensation problems. The hole location is at the bottom and at the back of the box, so in the majority of occasions will have little to no affect on water or dust ingress to the overall enclosure...

on a lighter note whats this obsession with earwigs?when you get to a certain age you try to remove ear hair not add it! lol bit of humour there for those who have had a bad day.

How about using a silica gel sachet inside the enclosure, i work in the water industry and have used these in areas that are subject to condensation.

If you are prepared to continually change the sachets, ...Yeah fine!! They can only absorb so much moisture, you then have to wait for the things to dry out, so in some circumstances their fine, but not i wouldn't think in locations where condensation is continually present

Reply to Drain holes in Weatherproof Accessories? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net