Discuss Drain holes in Weatherproof Accessories? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, drill. Definately stops moisture, as far as creepy-crawlys go I have only known them to be an issue once in 18 years. Fried ants in a Sodium Light, might have made a nice appetiser for a bushman.

The only times I haven't made a drain hole is near to a wash down area.

What IP rating are they? Do they warn you that drilling a hole might reduce the IP rating?

As i've stated before, drilling a 3 or 4mm hole in a sealed enclosure is better than the accessory being subject to continuous condensation problems. The hole location is at the bottom and at the back of the box, so in the majority of occasions will have little to no affect on water or dust ingress to the overall enclosure...

on a lighter note whats this obsession with earwigs?when you get to a certain age you try to remove ear hair not add it! lol bit of humour there for those who have had a bad day.

How about using a silica gel sachet inside the enclosure, i work in the water industry and have used these in areas that are subject to condensation.

If you are prepared to continually change the sachets, ...Yeah fine!! They can only absorb so much moisture, you then have to wait for the things to dry out, so in some circumstances their fine, but not i wouldn't think in locations where condensation is continually present

Reply to Drain holes in Weatherproof Accessories? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net