Discuss Dropped MCB onto tiled floor, damaged internally? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks, quick question, I dropped a C16 MCB from 5 feet up, onto a tiled floor.
No visible damage so I put it back with the others.
Could it be damaged internally so as it would allow current to flow but fail to actuate in the event of over-current?
Or is it a case of, if it's damaged, it won't allow current through &/or trip off immediately when switched on?
I don't want to fit it & think it's ok when it's not but I don't want to throw all my C16's away, ('cos I don't know which one it is now), if a fault will always be obvious once on the cu.
Any advice welcome.
Hope that makes sense.
Many thanks
Dylan

Hi folks, quick question, I dropped a C16 MCB from 5 feet up, onto a tiled floor.
No visible damage so I put it back with the others.
Could it be damaged internally so as it would allow current to flow but fail to actuate in the event of over-current?
Or is it a case of, if it's damaged, it won't allow current through &/or trip off immediately when switched on?
I don't want to fit it & think it's ok when it's not but I don't want to throw all my C16's away, ('cos I don't know which one it is now), if a fault will always be obvious once on the cu.
Any advice welcome.
Hope that makes sense.
Many thanks
Dylan
Shame.... next time wrap some tape around it . Me, I could not be bothered with having issues .I would have just binned it . Thats the trouble keeping old stuff... you never know if its a good move sometimes

Possibly. If the tripping coil is dislodged or the armature or its support structure bent, it might now be out of calibration even though the mechanism seems to work OK from the lever. MCBs are designed to minimise the possibility of jamming or complete failure to respond if it's actually broken, but it would be hard to detect if something had shifted a little and it will now operate at the wrong current.

5 feet on to a tiled floor - that would be straight in the bin for me. Especially since MCBs aren't expensive.

5 feet on to a tiled floor - that would be straight in the bin for me. Especially since MCBs aren't expensive.
Thanks DPG & others that have answered so far.
Trouble is I put it back in the box with all the other mcb's I'd just ordered.
I was just unpacking the new delivery when i dropped it & now I don't know which one it is .
It would be a real pain to bin all the C16's in case this one is damaged.
Especially if the likelyhood of that is small.
If I have to, I have to.
I'm kicking myself for putting it back with the pthers, what a prat!
Should have just binned it, was only 6.99 but if I have to throw all six away 'cos I don't know which it is I'll have to kick myself much harder.
I was hoping it would just fail to stay in the on position if it was damaged inside.
Oh well C'est la vie as they say here.

Thanks DPG & others that have answered so far.
Trouble is I put it back in the box with all the other mcb's I'd just ordered.
I was just unpacking the new delivery when i dropped it & now I don't know which one it is .
It would be a real pain to bin all the C16's in case this one is damaged.
Especially if the likelyhood of that is small.
If I have to, I have to.
I'm kicking myself for putting it back with the pthers, what a prat!
Should have just binned it, was only 6.99 but if I have to throw all six away 'cos I don't know which it is I'll have to kick myself much harder.
I was hoping it would just fail to stay in the on position if it was damaged inside.
Oh well C'est la vie as they say here.

There must be a bit of a ding on one of the corners? It's done well if not - must be decent quality!

Give it a shake.

A broken one might have loose parts inside and will rattle.

The switch mechanism may feel different than the others.

Send the whole box back as “faulty” and get replacements.

Give it a shake.

A broken one might have loose parts inside and will rattle.

The switch mechanism may feel different than the others.

Send the whole box back as “faulty” and get replacements.
Thanks for reply.
I'm thinking that, since the service provider's main breaker on incoming power is only 15amps, (strange but common here in rural France), I don't need to worry too much as that would protect in case of overload anyway?
I have to use C16 MCB's for radial socket circuit to comply but it seems a bit daft with a supply fuse at 15A
Thanks again

Thanks for reply.
I'm thinking that, since the service provider's main breaker on incoming power is only 15amps, (strange but common here in rural France), I don't need to worry too much as that would protect in case of overload anyway?
I have to use C16 MCB's for radial socket circuit to comply but it seems a bit daft with a supply fuse at 15A
Thanks again

Wow that's low. Is nuisance tripping a problem?

Reply to Dropped MCB onto tiled floor, damaged internally? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net