Discuss Earth Cable To Sub Distribution Board. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

The earthing is there as a safety path and/or functional earthing for electronic equipment you need to do the adiabatic equation to see if the 35mm will comply as the half size the phase conductor is a rule of thumb (cables 35mm or larger) and a quick way to know you comply but the adiabatic equation will eithe confirm compliance or show none compliance and if the latter additional earthing is required... dont forget the earth has to withstand fault current without failing so this is regardless of the max current demand of the board. I would also re-read my last post regarding earthing the armoured; its not a choice it has to be done regardless but as long as the supply end of the armoured is correctly earthed then you are not commited to doing the load end unless you are using the armouring as part or all your earth path, if you can get a DNO style earthing clamp fitted at the supply end then all you need to to correctly terminate the load side and you have effectively earth up the amouring and it can be used to back up the 35mm earth.

If you are not familiar with the adiabatic equation then you shouldn't be undertaking this work in the first place (i say this because i dont know your knowledge or qualifications) so dont take it as an insult, i have to make a judgment on you level of questioning.

dont forget the earth has to withstand fault current without failing so this is regardless of the max current demand of the board. I would also re-read my last post regarding earthing the armoured; its not a choice it has to be done regardless but as long as the supply end of the armoured is correctly earthed then you are not commited to doing the load end unless you are using the armouring as part or all your earth path, if you can get a DNO style earthing clamp fitted at the supply end then all you need to to correctly terminate the load side and you have effectively earth up the armouring and it can be used to back up the 35mm earth.

Depends on the environment he is working in, M&Q is a must both ends are earthed.

You are correct Rob but was refering to the OP's situation, if i start detailing all the exceptions etc il be writing a novel on here im trying to give enough to work with without adding confusion.

You are correct Rob but was refering to the OP's situation, if i start detailing all the exceptions etc il be writing a novel on here im trying to give enough to work with without adding confusion.

I do realise, just without knowing the environment the op works in, I wanted to point out that there are exceptions. 95% of the time your advice given above will be correct it's up to the op/ whoever reads this in the future to decide whether it's applicable to them.

I do realise, just without knowing the environment the op works in, I wanted to point out that there are exceptions. 95% of the time your advice given above will be correct it's up to the op/ whoever reads this in the future to decide whether it's applicable to them.
Yes agree looking from a 3rd person point of view i see where your coming from and probably was worth a mention as you have kindly done :)

I was originally going on the half the size of the live conductor theory, I used 35mm sq because I had it, but after I installed it I didn't feel comfortable. As I said, I could only gland one end - at the db. So, after all this, I will look further at glanding or clamping the cable at both ends - gonna be tough.

The swa is passed into the panel at one through a 50mm brass bush. I considered this OK under the circumstances as:
1. I would never have been able to fit a cw gland
2. the cable has no chance of moving as it is under ground, well supported, will never move and completely protected from people and elements.
My only concern is the size of the CPC, it is 35mm sq and the rule of thumb is half the size of live conductor. I do think the cpc is sufficient but I would be happier if it was say 50mm sq. So, my original question was - can an earth rod be installed near a new db to compensate for the undersized cpc?

Disregarding the installation arguments and sticking with the cpc sizing, I dont know of the rule of thumb for cps half the size of live conductors, surely the csa of seperate conductor which is a cpc for the armour should be calculated on 2 requirements
1. the Zs at far board complies with the protective devices needs,therefore the length and value of R1+R2 needs to be taken into account
2. It complies with adiabatic rules, which can only be determined after 1 has been calculated, it could well be that the 35mm is oversize for both

It is not good practice to add the csa of the armour and any supplemetary cpc together as you can not guarantee the split of fault current between the 2, good practice dictates the seperate conductor should be capable of fulfilling the requirements in its own rights

Your are correct in what you say Trebor but OP at the moment hasn't earthed the armouring correctly as he cant gland the supply end and was hoping that 35mm earth would alone suffice, my post was on the base that if he manages to gland the swa properly then it would comply on its own irrespective of the 35mm extra earth, we can assume hes not in a position to add an additional or run a larger earth.
Its a 95mm cable and would require a 50mm if not using adiabatic equation but we've already advised him to check if their is a chance the 35mm will suffice by using the adiabatic equation.

This all comes down to idleness!

I can’t make the gland off: there’s no excuse for this.
It’s what I had on the van: vans have engines, they move! Use it to go and get the correct cable. Cable, which you wouldn’t need if the SWA cable is made off correctly.

Both RoB and I have worked to M&Q, we would be looking for a new job if either of us pulled a stunt like this

I am going to get the earth fault loop impedance valve and work out exactly the pscc is, and if necessary, increase the size of the conductor. As for glanding the swa at the supply end, the best I can do is fabricate a clamp and connect to earth.

Reply to Earth Cable To Sub Distribution Board. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net