Discuss EICR - Garden Lighting RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All

Currently doing an EICR on common parts of a big site with multiple blocks.

All blocks have outside garden spike lighting in flower beds. These have been run on edge of bed in NYYJ clipped direct above the soil. There they have terminated into WISKA boxes but then run off in flex which is not mechanically protected. There is no RCD present.

Given the fact that these are frequented by the gardeners etc. I'm inclined to code as C2, however the previous EICR it was not coded (although bare minimum I believe should be a C3). I mentioned it to the estate manager, who has since tipped off the previous electrician, so before I get into a debate I just wanted to get a general consensus as to whether I am too harsh with my coding.

Alot of politics here, as I have been brought in by someone on the board of directors, and now the estate manager believes I'm having digs at his mate so I get future work on the estate🙄

Cheers

Unprotected flex, and no RCD protection - that sounds a bit dangerous when it's next to a flower bed!

What are you giving a C2 or C3 for and which regulation would you say has been contravened?

I don't think there's any requirement in the regulations for an RCD on it.

Where is the flex, above ground or below? If it's above ground I don't think there's any requirement for additional mechanical protection.

To be honest the flex is all over the place, likely constantly moved by the gardeners. Some above boiler, some slightly below. The WISKA boxes aren't fixed in anyway so most can be freely moved. Each flower bed covers quite a big area.

Gated entrances via a fob so no public access. Main concern really is for the gardeners to be honest, or if they were to accidently cut through during the day when the photocell kicks it on potential live ends.

Would 714.411.3.4 apply in this case? @bilbo_88 , is this site accessible to the public?

Have to say, I don't like the lack of RCD on this installation, even if it were to comply.

It may apply, in which case it would be a C3 for lack of additional protection by RCD.

And depending on the date of the previous EICR that regulation may not have been applicable, or even existed, at the time.

Gated entrances via a fob so no public access. Main concern really is for the gardeners to be honest, or if they were to accidently cut through during the day when the photocell kicks it on potential live ends.

An RCD won't prevent this, it will only reduce the severity of any electric shock which occurs.

A C3 could be appropriate for this.

I would C2 this, cable is not suitable for the environment its installed in, we would C2 a socket for equipment likely to be used outside , cable is not buried at a sufficient depth to avoid damage.does the cable contain carbon black to prevent UV damage ?,maybe even cable not supported correctly .

Reply to EICR - Garden Lighting RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net