Discuss EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

How many bananas can you fit inside a Cooper S.

Bent or straight ones :)

Ahh what the hell. My question is (not aimed solely at Westward).

Who makes the rules about the code for plastic CU's under wooden stairs or in sole escape route, when your doing your EICR's. Shirley you would use the guidance given by the grown-ups, 'cos they must know better than you; or do you just make up your own?

Bent or straight ones :)

Ahh what the hell. My question is (not aimed solely at Westward).

Who makes the rules about the code for plastic CU's under wooden stairs or in sole escape route, when your doing your EICR's. Shirley you would use the guidance given by the grown-ups, 'cos they must know better than you; or do you just make up your own?
You Shirley would, surely.

I'm surprised that after all this time and the new regs. That a plastic or wooden consumer unit isn't required to have a smoke/heat detector at its location.
if there is genuine concern that a plastic CU or wood surround would allow fire to start in a hall cupboard below stairs or similar location ….
why don't HSE /Regs insist on a detector within the cupboard .?

I'm now going to dive for cover lol

I'm surprised that after all this time and the new regs. That a plastic or wooden consumer unit isn't required to have a smoke/heat detector at its location.
if there is genuine concern that a plastic CU or wood surround would allow fire to start in a hall cupboard below stairs or similar location ….
why don't HSE /Regs insist on a detector within the cupboard .?

I'm now going to dive for cover lol

I made this exact point to Tony Cable asst Elex Sandown park before amd 3 became applicable

He didn't answer my question ....

Is it not a c3 if it is under the stair that is used as a emergency exit route. Or if it is beside the doorway where there is no other means of exit. Especialy in HMO. I would think it's more to do with emergency services gaining access. . All staircases should be double sheeted with fire boards these days anyway as we knlw they become the home for all unwanted items in a house a pile of combustibles.. if it's not either of these then it's not mentioned on EICR.

Hello

The NICEIC when phoned ...1 technical help guy
Yes it's a C3
My NICEIC Yearly guy for my Approved inspection ...its a C2 .
How are you supposed to make up your mind. ??
Personally ,The rest of the world has plastic fuse boardd and they have been good for 40-50 years .What changed ....wait Only UK regs ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

The NICEIC when phoned ...1 technical help guy
Yes it's a C3
My NICEIC Yearly guy for my Approved inspection ...its a C2 .
How are you supposed to make up your mind. ??
Personally ,The rest of the world has plastic fuse boardd and they have been good for 40-50 years .What changed ....wait Only UK regs ....
I cant believe we are still having this conversation, if its sound and not likely to give rise to a dangerous situation, C3 and say why in the comments/observation, if its in a cupboard along with golf clubs, wellies, is it potentially dangerous C1 , if has those sqaure cut outs you can get a Greggs sausage roll into C2.

I cant believe we are still having this conversation, if its sound and not likely to give rise to a dangerous situation, C3 and say why in the comments/observation, if its in a cupboard along with golf clubs, wellies, is it potentially dangerous C1 , if has those sqaure cut outs you can get a Greggs sausage roll into C2.
I don't think he has a problem with it...it's just an example from a newbie.
I don't see much wrong there as the thread could well have been useful to him.

........boring though it might be ?

I don't think he has a problem with it...it's just an example from a newbie.
I don't see much wrong there as the thread could well have been useful to him.

........boring though it might be ?
That exactly what I was trying to say, after all this time there should be definative answers from the Scheme providors, Napits codebreakr is good as far as it goes but much more examples are needed for those who are new, learning and apprentices, same goes for the lack of RCD protection on 16th edition installs, it needs boadening out with clear messages from all schemes , for me no RCD C2 end of story with a strong recommendation to upgrade after all its is unsatisfactory

After your thoughts on EICR coding for an existing plastic consumer unit in an under stairs cupboard, firstly in a standard domestic dwelling and secondly in a house of multiple occupancy.
After discussing this others and with tech helplines seems to be a bit of a split as to what code!
I agree with the consensus of NO Coding, as mentioned before there are thousands of the insulated CU's out there, are we saying every time we visit a property we recommend a new CU?

Reply to EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net