Discuss elecsa assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robsparky1975

hi all,i signed up last night for the elecsa part p,and to my amazement the elecsa assessor is coming down next thursday,9 day turnaround,lol do they need the £444,i was so reluctant to part with that but what choice do you have really,fancied doing pirs using them aswell but that was another £288 maybe another time,amy tips,apart from stocking up on tea/bikkies,assesor is phil if anyone has ever met him,im going to swat up a bit on the Qs i think he may ask,dont have my head stuck in that brb as much as i did a few years ago when heavy I&T.:D

hi guys, im looking to get my assessment with elecsa just qualified, on your first job ie fuse board change you have to let building control no which is £150 then pay for the assessment which is more money then you have to get the suppler out to cut meter tags, what a nightmare, im doing this for a friend, so ant charging for the job, is there any so called tricks of the trade

hi all,i signed up last night for the elecsa part p,and to my amazement the elecsa assessor is coming down next thursday,9 day turnaround,lol do they need the £444,i was so reluctant to part with that but what choice do you have really,fancied doing pirs using them aswell but that was another £288 maybe another time,amy tips,apart from stocking up on tea/bikkies,assesor is phil if anyone has ever met him,im going to swat up a bit on the Qs i think he may ask,dont have my head stuck in that brb as much as i did a few years ago when heavy I&T.:D
Best of luck. Phil did mine back in January, very nice guy! He will set you at ease, especially if you're bricking it like I was (I hate exams!).

What exactly did you guys do? The Napit assessment was very unformal. Instead of asking direct questions he put me in scenarios that he had been in and made me finish them, searching for my competence through indirect questions. He then looked at my install and asked what other ways I could have done it and why I chose that way. The answer of course was because it was more economical this way and also the most convenient. He then made me do a few tests. He said anyone with the 2391 he only asks to see a couple of tests and if he thinks they are a little unsure he will ask to see more. I ended up doing continuity of CPC then a Zs. He was more than happy with me.

Started with an informal chat about background, experience etc. Review of relevant qualifications, public liability insurance, risk assessment process, formal complaints log.

The piece of work I was going to do, a new loft extension, was running way behind schedule. I ended up changing the CU at home (the weekend before), so scope was completely open (2xRFC, 2xLighting, 1xImmersion, 1xSmokes, 1xDist cct to garage). From what I remember formal tests were, safe isolation, R1+R2 on the downstairs sockets/lights, Ze, Zs on sockets, RCD and functional test on sockets. I had already completed a certificate for the work, which was reviewed.

Questions about types of earthing, how to identify (and max Ze), questions on building regs. The one bldg reg that caught me out was the newly introduced one about ventilation requirements.

Best of luck. Phil did mine back in January, very nice guy! He will set you at ease, especially if you're bricking it like I was (I hate exams!).

Thanks for the heads up mate,ive been QS for a niceic approved contractor,funny that now im on my own my knees are knocking lol,can only be myself and let my work and knowledge do the talking,thanks for votes of confidence all,much appreciated,my missus wonders why i log on here and not facebook,well probably because this is far more interesting,can have some great laughs off topic and generally great bunch of lads and lasses,best forum bar none,cheers

In the pack you'll receive there will be a list of things they expect you to have, including risk assessments, complaints log, etc

At my first assessment the assessor was very interested to see my "library" of BS documents, reference books etc. A mate of mine got a minor ticking off for not having the Electricians guide to the buidling regulations!

hi guys, im looking to get my assessment with elecsa just qualified, on your first job ie fuse board change you have to let building control no which is £150 then pay for the assessment which is more money then you have to get the suppler out to cut meter tags, what a nightmare, im doing this for a friend, so ant charging for the job, is there any so called tricks of the trade

Yes !!!

Dont involve any DNO's to cut seals etc...
Dont involve any LABC's for assessments even if its yiur first one!
and regardless of friend status or not get him to pay for the bits at least!

yeah he paying for parts, i ant that much of a friend lol, and thanks for advice, wasn't sure if the guy form elecsa would ask me about that, that was all but thanks

Done assesment today,was scheduled for 13.30 and he brought forward 3 hours,what a nice bloke phil was,filled him up with tea and biscuits,went through paperwork,2391 is a bonus if you have it as he doesnt need to pick your brain to bits about the safe isloation procedure etc,went to a cu change,15 mins later,told me my welcome pack will follow in a few days,,just had a cold beer,nice,thanks for all the useful input everyone,gonna sleep easy tonight,and monday im treating myself to a day off and going to the racing at goodwood.happy days

you dont need to pay the extra £288 for doing pir,s with elecsa mate thats an extra assessment for people who want an elecsa creditation in doing pir,s if thats thier main job,you as an elecsa approved contractor paying just the normal £444 for your assessment can do pirs aswell,i had this question for elecsa and it was explained to me that its an extra assessment if people want to do it but not mandatory.

hope this helps.

Reply to elecsa assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net