Discuss Elecsa: Government changes to our scheme authorisation. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spudnik

Government changes to our scheme authorisation
The following information will affect all contractors registered on our Part P competent persons scheme.
In June 2012 the department for Communities and Local Government (CLG) introduced its new authorisation criteria for Certification Bodies licensed to operate Competent Person Schemes. The new criteria requires certification bodies to:

1. Become UKAS accredited for all of their schemes
2. Consider Risk Based Assessments (RBA)
3. Introduce a mandatory Insurance Backed Warranty (IBW)

The authorisation criteria contains other requirements for certification bodies that must be met in full by June 2014. The good news is that ECA Certification is already UKAS accredited for its competent person schemes. We also know from this years satisfaction survey that you would be in favour of a risk based approach to assessment and we have already done a considerable amount of work for government to consider on how this proposal could be implemented.

However, in reviewing the authorisation criteria to implement the mandatory Insurance Backed Warranty (IBW) we will have to change the way in which the current warranty provision operates. Instead of being able to offer a free provision for the discretion of your customers to purchase, we will have to introduce the system where a compulsory warranty is added to the cost of the job notification fee. We appreciate that this will mean some additional cost for you but it will also mean that we can remove some of the administrative and assessment burden placed on you as to how you currently need to demonstrate that you meet this scheme criteria. You will also be able to provide the additional peace of mind to your customers that all of your work is automatically covered by the warranty without them having to do anything.

The introduction of the mandatory IBW will be towards the end of March 2013 and we will continue to keep you updated on progress to make sure you have plenty of notice about these changes. No other Part P related fees will be changing in 2013. If you have any questions about the mandatory IBW please contact us on 0333 321 8220 or email[email protected].

Hi I have just read my emails and this is one of them

so this means now tha the customers have to buy an insurancebacked warranty for the work as its now compulsory and that we will have to include the cost in all jobs another crock of ???? which adds more unecessarry cost to the customers and more hassle and cost for us

Ignoring the comments, from what i understand, the NICEIC have been doing this for a while.( i would appreciate confirmation).

All Elecsa are doing is falling in line with them.

lol so for an extra socket outside we now have to charge more for insurance? what is risk assesment rubish all about we already have to write a risk assesment for each job? how is the price of the insurance going to work, per notification? cost of job? type of job? yearly payment never mind how many jobs you do?
if the customer doesn't want these scam insurance deals we now have to pay for it!!!
I am fumming! it's not just the cost it is the fact that again we the electrians have to pay.

Ignoring the comments, from what i understand, the NICEIC have been doing this for a while.( i would appreciate confirmation).

All Elecsa are doing is falling in line with them.

NICEIC have an insurance backed warrenty I can confirm

It costs ÂŁ1.50 per notification if I remember rightly.

so it says ibw will be in place for march 2013, does that mean i need to buy it before then? last time i looked i still have another years membership paid for a bit short notice? surely not a reasonable time frame?

I think you will find that you as a contractor are going to pay for the customers warranty and this will be added to the job notification!

I will be very surprised if the NICEIC are supplying free warranties with all notified work but I am sure their is a NICEIC rep on this forum who can comment on this.

I wonder how much it will be as I for one will call it a day as its bad enough now with priceing never mind adding more to the estimate!

I think you will find that you as a contractor are going to pay for the customers warranty and this will be added to the job notification!

I will be very surprised if the NICEIC are supplying free warranties with all notified work but I am sure their is a NICEIC rep on this forum who can comment on this.

I wonder how much it will be as I for one will call it a day as its bad enough now with priceing never mind adding more to the estimate!

NICEIC charge

ÂŁ1.50 for notification
ÂŁ1.50 for insurance backed warranty
ÂŁ0.50 for duplicate certificate

So is this like the "competitive" market we have for gas and electricity - i.e. one where they all put their prices up and we the poor sparkies have no option but pay??

Elecsa have said that the additional cost for the compulsory warranty will be ÂŁ1.50, added to the current notification it will therefore double the cost to us.
The risk based assessment only applies to other areas than Part P notifications.

Gets a bit silly sometimes, more and more cost for less and less work, great!

Firstly there was PPI insurance and then the miss selling claims.... then Elecsa and HM Gov step in with compulsory insurance

Another mess in the making IMHO

Reply to Elecsa: Government changes to our scheme authorisation. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net