Discuss electric wall hung radiators/heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi everyone, happy easter!!!!!
anyone got experience selecting electric wall hung heaters/ radiators for domestic heating. i have 2 properties that have asked for these. there are several options out there from very expensive (c 400) to reasonable (c 200), both have timers and thermostats. are the dearer ones worth the extra money, are they really cheaper to run? or is it manufacturer blurb?. after all, a kilowatt is a kilowatt no matter how you package it........or is it? any advice appreciated

A kilowatt is, indeed, a kilowatt, it's how you use it that counts. The makers of the newer (expensive) rads reckon they use better quality materials, better designed heaters (for improved airflow and heating) and finer control levels, which optimises the heating.
There's a difference in performance between a 2kw fan heater and a 2kw panel heater because of they way they work - similar sorts of claims made for the new heaters (which, once you cut through the marketing blurb) are just high-end oil-filled radiators with timers and thermostats.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice. It all falls apart when someone starts using them and leaves the window open anyway ....

PJ

Hi Mickles, as High tower said the Dimplex plx are good but theres a lot more to electric heating than just selecting the unit. All too often they are undersized for the room, to save a few quid, and end up costing more to run long term. Placement is also key as is the intended use of the property and as pjcomp say's Air loss. All the manufactuers make similair claims and of all the ones i've fitted, dimplex,Rointe,Myson and Fichser, im particularly impressed with Fichser. All these have been retro fitted to replace storage heaters and all the customers have made a saving, albeit small.

hi sky sparky,niether customer would be too bothered about cost within reason, is it better then to over size. the difference in cost between rointe units and dimplex plx as suggested by high tower is nearly 900 quid, do you think it's worth the extra. 900 buys a lot of electric.

Plx are budget units, perform well but not exactly aesthetically pleasing, however I have fitted around 50 this winter and they have been great to fit and very robust and durable.

The better end dimplex is the girona, looks great and a very stylish but they are almost twice the price of a PLX

high hightower, the girona range look good and mid priced, it would apprear you buy the timers separate, do they plug into and stay with the heater, ie timer for each one?

hi sky sparky,niether customer would be too bothered about cost within reason, is it better then to over size. the difference in cost between rointe units and dimplex plx as suggested by high tower is nearly 900 quid, do you think it's worth the extra. 900 buys a lot of electric.

Better to oversize imo. Work out your heat requirements for each room (KW) and select appropriate heater, if its borderline go one bigger. Again imo, difference in cost comes down to intended use. Getting payback on that 900 notes is going to take a few years, so are the homeowners likely to stay in the house long term ? or move every few years ect. A wet central heating system would add a little value to a house, efficient electric is unlikly to do so due to general publics perception of it.

ps. what part of Preston you in? i served my apprentiship for a company there and went to Preston college.

hi skisparky, i am in ashton, when i went to college it was called preston polytechnic, long before we had a uni. although i recently did an hnc in business at preston college (even at my age) and my kids went there (all adults now). i will bear in mind the higher output when i finally choose based on my electricians forum collegues reccomendations

Reply to electric wall hung radiators/heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net