Discuss Electrical contractor bypassed my meter ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The op shouldn't do anything!!!! As I posted before he's got an electrical cert from a sparky who did his newly works the op is a consumer therefore non the wiser lol

'In the UK it is commonly held that ignorance of the law is no excuse for (or defence against) breaking the law. The Latin maxim is ‘Ignorantia juris non excusat’. The reason given for this principle is that if such a defence was allowed, then too many guilty defendants would use it to escape conviction'.

Plus, he has been suitable adviced, by 'experts' that the wiring he has is illegal. Clearly the certificate he has, is not worth the paper it is written on. His only saving grace, is he employed someone to carry out the work for him, not believing or expecting something illegal would be done. But he must come clean. I feel sorry for homemaker, as he has been placed in a difficult position, but ignoring the facts and hoping it will all go away, might be a foolhardy mistake. I for one, would be fearing the knock at the door. I suspect he has now taken steps (due to his absence from his own thread) to have the fault rectified. I just hope the Supplier doesn't come knocking.

yes, but there are two steps he should take.
1) Get it sorted asap
2) inform the supplier so he can get an official slap on the wrist and possibly a fine?

I know 1) should be done by the supplier and so includes 2) but I am sure a lot of people would try and find a way of getting 1 sorted without 2 happening. And you can't blame them if it is genuinely not a problem of their making.

I'd suggest giving the guy a break..............

His supplier will, no doubt, give him a break providing he is up front and honest. Hopefully they will be able to reach an amicable agreement as to what he owes them. He already had his suspicions that something wasn't right hence he posted here.....although I can't help thinking that the right place to go in the first place, if he suspected a problem, would have been his supplier. Either way, he now knows where he stands and what he should do. I'm sure he'll do the right thing.

Did mention this before Lacy, and the original thread owner seems very conspicuous by his absence. I suspect he is a very worried person, but the longer they leave it to contact the supplier (now that they know it is wrong, both technically AND legally), the worse things will become. Let’s hope homeworker comes back to us to say he has made contact with his supplier.
Or on the other hand he may have gotten the info we gave him and made contact, thus sleeping soundly in his bed of a nighttime

Reply to Electrical contractor bypassed my meter ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net