• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Electrical Fault Finding Needed Sheffield Area. in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
B

bolt

The house was completely rewired approximately 9 years ago.

starting approximately 2 years ago very occasionally we have experienced a tripping RCD issue.

the areas affected are the top floor bedroom sockets and some of the kitchen sockets. This seems to happen when the light in the top floor ensuite is switched on/off. It doesn’t happen all the time; it is very rare in the summer and happens more frequently in winter, particularly in bad weather.

More recently we have noticed the living room (ground floor) and kitchen (also ground floor) ceiling lights sometimes flicker, this seems to be quite random.

Approximately 1 year ago we had an electrician come and look at the wiring/assess the problem. He looked at the wiring but didn’t actually test anything. He thought he found a loose wire, which he tightened. The problem quickly recurred/wasn’t fixed by this and remains an issue.

Any suggestions and recommendations for a good, qualified electrician to come and fully test and hopefully resolve this problem?
thanks

starting approximately 2 years ago very occasionally we have experienced a tripping RCD issue.

the areas affected are the top floor bedroom sockets and some of the kitchen sockets. This seems to happen when the light in the top floor ensuite is switched on/off. It doesn’t happen all the time; it is very rare in the summer and happens more frequently in winter, particularly in bad weather.

More recently we have noticed the living room (ground floor) and kitchen (also ground floor) ceiling lights sometimes flicker, this seems to be quite random.

Approximately 1 year ago we had an electrician come and look at the wiring/assess the problem. He looked at the wiring but didn’t actually test anything. He thought he found a loose wire, which he tightened. The problem quickly recurred/wasn’t fixed by this and remains an issue.

Any suggestions and recommendations for a good, qualified electrician to come and fully test and hopefully resolve this problem?
thanks

You obviously realise that the 'electrician' was either an inexperienced Electrical Trainee or a plumber. Nobody is going to fix an RCD tripping problem by 'looking' alone.
I'm sure someone on here will be able to help,but failing that make sure you employ an experienced electrician.

I'm pretty sure that's what the op said in his very last paragraph. But might I ask how he would go about this? How can he tell of finding a experienced or even fully qualified electrician from looking through a directory? Niceic won't tell you who is Electrical Trainee and who is fully qualified, and especially won't tell you who is experienced.

Some people need to get off their soap box on here. He's asked for a recommendation (probably one off the few places where someone can tell them how qualified and experienced they are) and all you can do is preach about something he already knows and has asked about.

I'm pretty sure that's what the op said in his very last paragraph. But might I ask how he would go about this? How can he tell of finding a experienced or even fully qualified electrician from looking through a directory? Niceic won't tell you who is Electrical Trainee and who is fully qualified, and especially won't tell you who is experienced.

Some people need to get off their soap box on here. He's asked for a recommendation (probably one off the few places where someone can tell them how qualified and experienced they are) and all you can do is preach about something he already knows and has asked about.

Preaching?.....Where?

Well you jump in straight away and just assume that this is a Electrical Trainee. Then bang on about making sure he gets an experienced electrician (bolded) even though he's already said that's what he's looking for.

Ok....the point being that not all electricians are experienced in fault finding. And yes, I'd say an 'electrician' who just drops a few points looking for a fault,and then blags it by saying he's tightened a loose connection before taking the money and riding off is either a Electrical Trainee or a plumber. Jumped in again there, not preaching,just confirming what the OP already suspects.

Yes but you haven't helped him at all. You've had a small rant about Electrical Trainee and then affirmed what the op already knows. He's come here looking for an experienced electrician and all you've said is 'make sure you get an experienced spark' but offer no advice how to do that.

Yes but you haven't helped him at all. You've had a small rant about Electrical Trainee and then affirmed what the op already knows. He's come here looking for an experienced electrician and all you've said is 'make sure you get an experienced spark' but offer no advice how to do that.

I take it you are an offended Electrical Trainee then?

Cant see much advise in your posts either.

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks
Hi, when trying to source an trade's man it can be difficult, I would ask them how long have you been in the trade etc, ask to see their qualifications, suppose I have to say it , go for registered organisations like NICEIC, approved contractors. TIN HAT ON. lol

I would ask them how long have you been in the trade etc, ask to see their qualifications. lol

Thing is the client wont know. An NVQ3 taking 3 years or a 2382 taking 2 Days will both give you a C&G cert, the client wont know the value of them. The only sure way would be NICEIC AC as the requirement is higher.

Got to agree with tj, the onus has to be put on those running the schemes or those above them, not the customer

It also depends on their experiences and intelligence really. People assume all sparks can fault find if they have been in the trade for decent length of time. Unfortunately this is not the case, some are merely great installers, some are not great at either lol

Last edited:
Thing is the client wont know. An NVQ3 taking 3 years or a 2382 taking 2 Days will both give you a C&G cert, the client wont know the value of them. The only sure way would be NICEIC AC as the requirement is higher.

My first boss was an NICEIC Approved contractor and he didn't think you could have a 3 phase TT system.

Obviously not all are this dense but just putting it out there.

OP cou;d aLWAYS TRAWL THROUGH THE ELECTRICIANS UNITE FORUM. FIND OUT WHO'SLOCAL TO HIM.

edeit: what idiot put the caps lock right next to the A key.

Well I am a Electrical Trainee (well a 6MW actually!) and proud of it :)

Bolt.. The electrician (however he was qualified or trained!!) is extremely unlikely to solve a tripping problem by looking alone, almost definitely he will need to test as well.

So to solve your issue as requested :)... The best way to find a decent electrician would be to speak to your neighbours and get a recommendation. Also, you could find a registered electrical installer by going on the following website Competent Persons Register | Home - http://www.competentperson.co.uk/ and tapping in your postcode. It's not an absolute guarantee that you will get a decent electrician from this site but I think it significantly improves your chances.

Good luck!

Also, you could find a registered electrical installer by going on the following website Competent Persons Register | Home - http://www.competentperson.co.uk/ and tapping in your postcode.
Just to clear this up, that site is only actually valid in England and Wales. In Scotland you would need to look at the NIC or SELECT websites and here you would need to look at either the NICEIC or ECA websites.

The site you mentioned only lists those registered as Domestic Installers for the purposes of the Building Regulations in England & Wales. (These may also be Approved Contractors.) Here, where there is no such thing as a Domestic Installer the site can give the impression that an Enterprise is not registered when in fact it is.

Reply to Electrical Fault Finding Needed Sheffield Area. in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net